Manufacturer governance of foreign distributor relationships: do relational norms enhance competitiveness in the export market?
AbstractResearch on international marketing channels accentuates the importance of relational norms and trust-building activities between buyers and sellers. Indeed, cultural and country differences may limit the use and effectiveness of traditional tools (such as market incentives and authoritative control) that govern the relationship between an exporting manufacturer and its foreign distributor. Consequently, exporting manufacturers need to emphasize relationships with their foreign distributors. This research finds evidence that supports both direct and indirect effects between the manufacturer's use of governance via relational norms and its competitiveness in the export market. The indirect effect results from the mediating role of trust, a finding that makes a key contribution to the understanding of the role of relational governance in cross-border relationships. Journal of International Business Studies (2003) 34, 550–566. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400051
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 34 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Obadia, Claude & Vida, Irena, 2011. "Cross-border relationships and performance: Revisiting a complex linkage," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(5), pages 467-475, May.
- D. Vandaele & P. Gemmel, 2007. "Dealing with Business Service Transactions after the Sourcing Decision: Influence of Contract and Uncertainty," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/432, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Roine, Henna & Sainio, Liisa-Maija & Saarenketo, Sami, 2012. "Export channel pricing management for integrated solutions," jbm - Journal of Business Market Management, Free University Berlin, Marketing Department, vol. 5(3), pages 195-214.
- Kyj, Myroslaw J. & Kyj, Larissa, 2009. "An institution-stakeholder framework for examining business relationship dynamics in a transforming Eastern Europe," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 300-310, July.
- Svendsen, Mons Freng & Haugland, Sven A., 2011. "Host country institutional pressures and cross-border relationship governance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 324-337, June.
- Bloemer, Josée & Pluymaekers, Mark & Odekerken, Armand, 2013. "Trust and affective commitment as energizing forces for export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 363-380.
- Tsui-Yii Shih & Rumintha Wickramasekera, 2011. "Export decisions within Taiwanese electrical and electronic SMEs: The role of management characteristics and attitudes," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 353-377, June.
- Alfred Wong & Dean Tjosvold & Pengzhu Zhang, 2005. "Supply Chain Relationships for Customer Satisfaction in China: Interdependence and Cooperative Goals," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 179-199, June.
- Dong, Maggie Chuoyan & Tse, David K. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2008. "Efficiency of governance mechanisms in China's distribution channels," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 509-519, October.
- Kolloge, Konstantin, 2009. "Die Messung des Kooperationserfolges in der empirischen Forschung: Ergebnisse einer Literaturstudie," Arbeitspapiere 76, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- Martin-Tapia, Inmaculada & Aragon-Correa, Juan Alberto & Senise-Barrio, Maria Eugenia, 2008. "Being green and export intensity of SMEs: The moderating influence of perceived uncertainty," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1-2), pages 56-67, December.
- Nes, Erik B. & Solberg, Carl Arthur & Silkoset, Ragnhild, 2007. "The impact of national culture and communication on exporter-distributor relations and on export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 405-424, August.
- Lee, Yikuan & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "Enhancing alliance performance: The effects of contractual-based versus relational-based governance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 896-905, August.
- Dirk Boehe & Luciano Barin Cruz, 2010. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Product Differentiation Strategy and Export Performance," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 325-346, February.
- Lumineau, Fabrice & Henderson, James, 2012. "The influence of relational experience and contractual governance on the negotiation strategy in buyer-supplier disputes," MPRA Paper 38510, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, Daekwan & Basu, Choton & Naidu, G.M. & Cavusgil, Erin, 2011. "The innovativeness of Born-Globals and customer orientation: Learning from Indian Born-Globals," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(8), pages 879-886, August.
- Keh, Hean Tat & Nguyen, Thi Tuyet Mai & Ng, Hwei Ping, 2007. "The effects of entrepreneurial orientation and marketing information on the performance of SMEs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 592-611, July.
- Theurl, Theresia & Kolloge, Konstantin, 2009. "Internationale Unternehmenskooperationen im deutschen Maschinenbau: Eine empirische Analyse," Arbeitspapiere 81, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- BOEHE, Dirk Michael, 2009. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Product Differentiation Strategy and Export Performance," Insper Working Papers wpe_186, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Yang, Chin-Fang & Lai, Chi-Shiun, 2012. "Relationship learning from organizational knowledge stores," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 421-428.
- Parente, Ronaldo C. & Baack, Daniel W. & Hahn, Eugene D., 2011. "The effect of supply chain integration, modular production, and cultural distance on new product development: A dynamic capabilities approach," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 278-290.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.