The role of past performance in export ventures: a short-term reactive approach
AbstractThis paper employs organizational learning theory to examine the short-term effect of past export performance, and internal (management) and external (market) forces on marketing strategy adaptation and current export performance. Results from a survey of over 500 export managers indicate that current-period performance improvement (in terms of performance achievement, export intensity, and performance satisfaction in the current year) is influenced by the firm's commitment to exporting. Further, the authors found that while performance satisfaction feeds performance improvement in the following year, both the previous year's export intensity and export performance achievement produce a negative impact on current-period performance improvement. More importantly, the level of development in the export market facilitates marketing strategy adaptation in the short term, as does export intensity in the previous year. However, satisfaction with previous-year performance negatively influences the degree of distribution adaptation. Implications for international business researchers and practitioners are also discussed. Journal of International Business Studies (2008) 39, 304–325. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400339
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz & Osman, Ms.Amber & Habib, Sukaina, 2010. "Determinants of Short-Term Export Performance in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 26376, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Nov 2010.
- Dirk Boehe & Luciano Barin Cruz, 2010. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Product Differentiation Strategy and Export Performance," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 325-346, February.
- Boehe, Dirk Michael, 2011. "Collaborate at home to win abroad: How does access to local network resources influence export behavior?," Insper Working Papers wpe_248, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Serra, Francisco & Pointon, John & Abdou, Hussein, 2012. "Factors influencing the propensity to export: A study of UK and Portuguese textile firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 210-224.
- Obadia, Claude & Vida, Irena, 2011. "Cross-border relationships and performance: Revisiting a complex linkage," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(5), pages 467-475, May.
- Lisboa, Ana & Skarmeas, Dionysis & Lages, Carmen, 2011. "Innovative capabilities: Their drivers and effects on current and future performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(11), pages 1157-1161.
- Chung, Henry F.L. & Tung, Rosalie L., 2013. "Immigrant social networks and foreign entry: Australia and New Zealand firms in the European Union and Greater China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 18-31.
- Lages, Luis Filipe & Mata, Jose & Griffith, David A., 2013. "Change in international market strategy as a reaction to performance decline," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2600-2611.
- Singh, Deeksha A., 2009. "Export performance of emerging market firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 321-330, August.
- Griffith, David A., 2011. "Insights into gaining access to export financing: Understanding export lenders' ideal exporter profile," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 84-92, January.
- Lages, Luis Filipe & Silva, Graça & Styles, Chris & Pereira, Zulema Lopes, 2009. "The NEP Scale: A measure of network export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 344-356, August.
- Griffith, David A., 2010. "Understanding multi-level institutional convergence effects on international market segments and global marketing strategy," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 59-67, January.
- Ricardo Jorge Fernandes Coutinho & Raquel Meneses Moutinho, 2012. "Generational Succession as a Trigger for Family Business Internationalization," Economics and Management Research Projects: An International Journal, Open Access International Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Boehe, Dirk Michael & Cruz, Luciano Barin & Ogasavara, Mário Henrique, 2010. "How can Firms from Emerging Economies Enhance their CSR-Supported Export Strategies?," Insper Working Papers wpe_209, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Papadopoulos, Nicolas & Martín Martín, Oscar, 2010. "Toward a model of the relationship between internationalization and export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 388-406, August.
- BOEHE, Dirk Michael, 2009. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Product Differentiation Strategy and Export Performance," Insper Working Papers wpe_186, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.