Combining fair pricing and capital requirements for non-life insurance companies
AbstractThe aim of this article is to identify fair equity-premium combinations for non-life insurers that satisfy solvency capital requirements imposed by regulatory authorities. In particular, we compare target capital derived using the value at risk concept as planned for Solvency II in the European Union with the tail value at risk concept as required by the Swiss Solvency Test. The model framework uses Merton's jump-diffusion process for the market value of liabilities and a geometric Brownian motion for the asset process; fair valuation is conducted using option pricing theory. We show that even if regulatory requirements are satisfied under different risk measures and parameterizations, the associated costs of insolvency - measured with the insurer's default put option value - can differ substantially.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Insurance regulation Fair valuation Solvency capital requirement Jump-diffusion process;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Gatzert, Nadine & Schmeiser, Hato, 2008. "The influence of corporate taxes on pricing and capital structure in property-liability insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 50-58, February.
- Michael Sherris, 2006. "Solvency, Capital Allocation, and Fair Rate of Return in Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 71-96.
- David Cummins, J. & Sommer, David W., 1996. "Capital and risk in property-liability insurance markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1069-1092, July.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- de Haan, Leo & Kakes, Jan, 2010.
"Are non-risk based capital requirements for insurance companies binding?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1618-1627, July.
- Leo de Haan & Jan Kakes, 2007. "Are non-risk based capital requirements for insurance companies binding?," DNB Working Papers 145, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Buch, Arne & Dorfleitner, Gregor & Wimmer, Maximilian, 2011. "Risk capital allocation for RORAC optimization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 3001-3009, November.
- Gatzert, Nadine & Kellner, Ralf, 2011. "The influence of non-linear dependencies on the basis risk of industry loss warranties," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 132-144, July.
- McShane, Michael K. & Cox, Larry A. & Butler, Richard J., 2010. "Regulatory competition and forbearance: Evidence from the life insurance industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 522-532, March.
- Tsai, Ming-Shann & Chen, Lien-Chuan, 2011. "The calculation of capital requirement using Extreme Value Theory," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 390-395, January.
- Hato Schmeiser & Caroline Siegel & Joël Wagner, 2012. "The risk of model misspecification and its impact on solvency measurement in the insurance sector," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(4), pages 285-308.
- Schlütter, Sebastian, 2011. "The role of frictional costs for insurance pricing and insurer default risk," ICIR Working Paper Series 07/11, International Center for Insurance Regulation (ICIR), Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Nadine Gatzert & Hato Schmeiser, 2011. "On the risk situation of financial conglomerates: does diversification matter?," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 3-26, March.
- Schlütter, Sebastian, 2011. "Capital requirements or pricing constraints? An economic analysis of measures for insurance regulation," ICIR Working Paper Series 03/11, International Center for Insurance Regulation (ICIR), Goethe University Frankfurt.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.