Influence of disclosure and governance on risk of US financial services firms following Sarbanes-Oxley
AbstractThis study finds significant changes in capital market measures of risk following the passage of Sarbanes-Oxley for US financial services firms. Shorter-term measures of risk shifts are positive, on average, and consistent with the mandatory nature of the disclosure and governance provisions. Longer-term total and unsystematic risk shifts are negative, on average, and consistent with reductions in investor uncertainty as transparency improved. We find that the changes in shorter-term and longer-term risk measures vary inversely with the strength of disclosure and governance characteristics. The financial market rewarded (punished) firms with stronger (weaker) disclosure and stronger (weaker) governance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Sarbanes-Oxley Risk effects Financial services Disclosure Governance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saunders, Anthony & Strock, Elizabeth & Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1990. " Ownership Structure, Deregulation, and Bank Risk Taking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 643-54, June.
- Yakov Amihud & Baruch Lev, 1981. "Risk Reduction as a Managerial Motive for Conglomerate Mergers," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(2), pages 605-617, Autumn.
- Bhargava, Rahul & Fraser, Donald R., 1998. "On the wealth and risk effects of commercial bank expansion into securities underwriting: An analysis of Section 20 subsidiaries1," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 447-465, May.
- Sanjeev Bhojraj & Partha Sengupta, 2003. "Effect of Corporate Governance on Bond Ratings and Yields: The Role of Institutional Investors and Outside Directors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(3), pages 455-476, July.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Levine, Ross, 2004.
"Bank regulation and supervision: what works best?,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 205-248, April.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio Jr., Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2001. "Bank regulation and supervision : what works best?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2725, The World Bank.
- James R. Barth & Gerard Caprio, Jr. & Ross Levine, 2002. "Bank Regulation and Supervision: What Works Best?," NBER Working Papers 9323, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amihud, Yakov & DeLong, Gayle L. & Saunders, Anthony, 2002. "The effects of cross-border bank mergers on bank risk and value," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 857-877, November.
- Carl R. Chen & Thomas L. Steiner & Ann Marie Whyte, 1998. "Risk-Taking Behavior And Management Ownership In Depository Institutions," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 1-16, 03.
- McNichols, Maureen & Manegold, James G., 1983. "The effect of the information environment on the relationship between financial disclosure and security price variability," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 49-74, April.
- Anderson, Ronald C. & Mansi, Sattar A. & Reeb, David M., 2004. "Board characteristics, accounting report integrity, and the cost of debt," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 315-342, September.
- Simon, Carol J, 1989. "The Effect of the 1933 Securities Act on Investor Information and the Performance of New Issues," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 295-318, June.
- Coles, Jeffrey L. & Loewenstein, Uri & Suay, Jose, 1995. "On Equilibrium Pricing under Parameter Uncertainty," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(03), pages 347-364, September.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & Martin, Anna D., 2006. "Valuation impact of Sarbanes-Oxley: Evidence from disclosure and governance within the financial services industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 989-1006, March.
- Aharony, Joseph & Saunders, Anthony & Swary, Itzhak, 1985. "The Effects of the International Banking Act on Domestic Bank Profitability and Risk," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(4), pages 493-506, November.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Rao, Ramesh P, 1990. "Institutional Ownership and Distribution of Equity Returns," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 211-29, May.
- Barry, Christopher B. & Brown, Stephen J., 1985. "Differential Information and Security Market Equilibrium," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 407-422, December.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1989. " Institutional Markets, Financial Marketing, and Financial Innovation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 541-56, July.
- Bundt, Thomas P. & Cosimano, Thomas F. & Halloran, John A., 1992. "DIDMCA and bank market risk: Theory and evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 1179-1193, December.
- Zhang, Ivy Xiying, 2007. "Economic consequences of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 74-115, September.
- Kabir, M. Humayun & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2005. "The near-collapse of LTCM, US financial stock returns, and the fed," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 441-460, February.
- George S. Oldfield & Anthony M. Santomero, 1997. "The Place of Risk Management in Financial Institutions," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Vidhi Chhaochharia & Yaniv Grinstein, 2007. "Corporate Governance and Firm Value: The Impact of the 2002 Governance Rules," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1789-1825, 08.
- Abdullah Mamun & M. Kabir Hassan & Neal Maroney, 2005. "The Wealth and Risk Effects of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) on the US Banking Industry," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1-2), pages 351-388.
- Denis, David J & Denis, Diane K & Sarin, Atulya, 1997. " Agency Problems, Equity Ownership, and Corporate Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 135-60, March.
- Autore, Don M. & Billingsley, Randall S. & Schneller, Meir I., 2009. "Information uncertainty and auditor reputation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 183-192, February.
- Sailesh Tanna & Fotios Pasiouras & Matthias Nnadi, 2011. "The Effect of Board Size and Composition on the Efficiency of UK Banks," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 441-462, November.
- Emilia Peni & Sami Vähämaa, 2012. "Did Good Corporate Governance Improve Bank Performance during the Financial Crisis?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 19-35, April.
- Waters, James, 2013. "The Sarbanes-Oxley Act, industrial innovation, and real option creation," MPRA Paper 49173, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stergios Leventis & Panagiotis Dimitropoulos, 2012. "The role of corporate governance in earnings management: experience from US banks," Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(2), pages 161-177.
- Andrade, Sandro C. & Bernile, Gennaro & Hood, Frederick M., 2014. "SOX, corporate transparency, and the cost of debt," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 145-165.
- Pathan, Shams, 2009. "Strong boards, CEO power and bank risk-taking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1340-1350, July.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & Martin, Anna D. & Nishikawa, Takeshi, 2009. "Changes in risk of foreign firms listed in the U.S. following Sarbanes-Oxley," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 193-205, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.