Bankruptcy risk and productive efficiency in manufacturing firms
AbstractThe paper investigates the determinants of bankruptcy in three representative unbalanced samples of Italian firms for the periods 1989-1991, 1992-94 and 1995-97. Two important results are that: i) the degree of relative firm inefficiency measured as the distance from the efficient frontier has significant explanatory power in predicting bankruptcy ii) qualitative regressors such as customers' concentration and strength and proximity of competitors have significant predictive power and suggest that banks should not restrict their monitoring activity to balance sheet variables. These findings remain significant after controlling for balance sheet liquidity and profitability variables usually considered in these estimates
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 27 (2003)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Other versions of this item:
- Leonardo Becchetti & Jaime Humberto Sierra Gonzalez 2, 2003. "Bankruptcy Risk and Productive Efficiency in Manufacturing Firms," CEIS Research Paper 30, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kashyap, Anil K & Lamont, Owen A & Stein, Jeremy C, 1994.
"Credit Conditions and the Cyclical Behavior of Inventories,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 565-92, August.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Owen A. Lamont & Jeremy C. Stein, 1993. "Credit conditions and the cyclical behavior of inventories," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 93-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Aly, Hassan Y, et al, 1990. "Technical, Scale, and Allocative Efficiencies in U.S. Banking: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 211-18, May.
- Fanti Luciano, 1997. "Inefficienza tecnica e di scala: un'applicazione all'industria italiana di una frontiera flessibile di produzione," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 271-282.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997.
"Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?,"
97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 1997. "Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 895-947, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Duffie, Darrell & Lando, David, 2001. "Term Structures of Credit Spreads with Incomplete Accounting Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 633-64, May.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1992. "Asymmetric Information in Credit Markets and Its Implications for Macro-economics," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 694-724, October.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Nickell, S.J., 1993.
"Competition and Crporate Performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99155, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Edmister, Robert O., 1972. "An Empirical Test of Financial Ratio Analysis for Small Business Failure Prediction," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 1477-1493, March.
- Gilson, Stuart C., 1989. "Management turnover and financial distress," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 241-262, December.
- Xu, Bin, 2000. "The Welfare Implications of Costly Monitoring in the Credit Market: A Note," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 576-80, April.
- Edward I Altman & Tara K N Baidya & Luis Manoel Ribeiro Dias, 1979. "Assessing Potential Financial Problems for Firms in Brazil," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(2), pages 9-24, June.
- Altman, Edward I, 1984. " A Further Empirical Investigation of the Bankruptcy Cost Question," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1067-89, September.
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- de Meza, David & Webb, David C, 1987. "Too Much Investment: A Problem of Asymmetric Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 281-92, May.
- Appetiti, Sandro, 1984. "Identifying unsound firms in Italy : An attempt to use trend variables," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 269-279, June.
- Everett, Jim & Watson, John, 1998. " Small Business Failure and External Risk Factors," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 371-90, December.
- Lo, Andrew W., 1986. "Logit versus discriminant analysis : A specification test and application to corporate bankruptcies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 151-178, March.
- Mark Gertler & R. Glenn Hubbard & Anil Kashyap, 1991.
"Interest Rate Spreads, Credit Constraints, and Investment Fluctuations: An Empirical Investigation,"
in: Financial Markets and Financial Crises, pages 11-32
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Gertler & R. Glenn Hubbard & Anil K. Kashyap, 1990. "Interest rate spreads, credit constraints and investment fluctuations: an empirical investigation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 137, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gertler, Mark & Hubbard, R. Glenn & Kashyap, Anil, 1990. "Interest Rate Spreads, Credit Constraints, And Investment Fluctuations: An Empirical Investigation," Working Papers 90-46, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark Gertler & R. Glenn Hubbard & Anil Kashyap, 1990. "Interest Rate Spreads, Credit Constraints, and Investment Fluctuations: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 3495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pamela Nickell & William Perraudin & Simone Varotto, 2001.
"Stability of ratings transitions,"
Bank of England working papers
133, Bank of England.
- Kaparakis, Emmanuel I & Miller, Stephen M & Noulas, Athanasios G, 1994. "Short-Run Cost Inefficiency of Commercial Banks: A Flexible Stochastic Frontier Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 875-93, November.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- Vojislav Maksimovic & Gordon Phillips, 1998. "Asset Efficiency and Reallocation Decisions of Bankrupt Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1495-1532, October.
- Gilson, Stuart C & Vetsuypens, Michael R, 1993. " CEO Compensation in Financially Distressed Firms: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(2), pages 425-58, June.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Foglia, A. & Laviola, S. & Marullo Reedtz, P., 1998. "Multiple banking relationships and the fragility of corporate borrowers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1441-1456, October.
- Allen, Linda & Rai, Anoop, 1996. "Operational efficiency in banking: An international comparison," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 655-672, May.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Frydman, Halina & Altman, Edward I & Kao, Duen-Li, 1985. " Introducing Recursive Partitioning for Financial Classification: The Case of Financial Distress," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 269-91, March.
- Hunt-McCool, Janet & Koh, Samuel C & Francis, Bill B, 1996. "Testing for Deliberate Underpricing in the IPO Premarket: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(4), pages 1251-69.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Altman, Edward I. & Marco, Giancarlo & Varetto, Franco, 1994. "Corporate distress diagnosis: Comparisons using linear discriminant analysis and neural networks (the Italian experience)," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 505-529, May.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Melody Garcia & Giovanni Trovato, 2009. "Credit rationing and credit view: empirical evidence from loan data," CEIS Research Paper 144, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 30 Sep 2009.
- Sofie Balcaen & Sophie Manigart & Hubert Ooghe, 2011.
"From distress to exit: determinants of the time to exit,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 407-446, August.
- Balcaen, S. & Manigart, S. & Ooghe, H., 2009. "From Distress to exit: determinants of the time to exit," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2009-12, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- S. Balcaen & S. Manigart & H. Ooghe, 2009. "From distress to exit: determinants of the time to exit," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/588, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Laura Marta Nuã‘Ez, 2004. "The problem of variable selection for financial distress: applying GRASP methaeuristics," Working Papers Economia wp04-30, Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment.
- Koetter, Michael & Bos, Jaap W. B. & Heid, Frank & Kool, Clemens J. M. & Kolari, James W. & Porath, Daniel, 2005.
"Accounting for distress in bank mergers,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2005,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ipatova, Irina & Peresetsky, Аnatoly, 2013. "Technical efficiency of Russian plastic and rubber production firms," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 32(4), pages 71-92.
- Ruey-Ching Hwang & Jhao-Siang Siao & Huimin Chung & C. Chu, 2011. "Assessing bankruptcy prediction models via information content of technical inefficiency," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 263-273, December.
- Piruna Polsiri & Kingkarn Sookhanaphibarn, 2009. "Corporate Distress Prediction Models Using Governance and Financial Variables: Evidence from Thai Listed Firms during the East Asian Economic Crisis," Journal of Economics and Management, College of Business, Feng Chia University, Taiwan, vol. 5(2), pages 273-304, July.
- Ferreira Filipe, Sara & Grammatikos, Theoharry & Michala, Dimitra, 2014. "Forecasting Distress in European SME Portfolios," MPRA Paper 53572, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.