Testing for Deliberate Underpricing in the IPO Premarket: A Stochastic Frontier Approach
AbstractWe re-evaluate the IPO underpricing phenomenon using the stochastic frontier methodology. The advantage of the stochastic frontier is that it can be used to measure the level of deliberate underpricing in the premarket without using after-market information. This is accomplished through the estimation of a systematic one-sided error term that measures "inefficiency" or the difference between the maximum predicted offer price and the actual offer price. Data for the analysis are comprised of 1,035 IPOs of common stock issued by firm commitment between 1975 and 1984. IPOs appear to be deliberately underpriced in the premarket in both hot-market and nonhot-market periods. Moreover, the determinants of the maximum IPO price have different effects in the two time periods. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Heejoon Kang & Michele Fratianni, 2006. "International Trade Efficiency, the Gravity Equation, and the Stochastic Frontier," Working Papers 2006-08, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Andrew C. Worthington & Jirapun Chorruk, 2009. "The Pricing and Performance of IPOs for Small-and-medium-sized Enterprises: Emerging Market Evidence," Discussion Papers in Finance finance:200912, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Habib, Michel Antoine & Ljungqvist, Alexander P, 2000.
"Firm Value and Managerial Incentives: A Stochastic Frontier Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2564, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michel A. Habib & Alexander Ljungqvist, 2005. "Firm Value and Managerial Incentives: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2053-2094, November.
- Michel Habib & Alexander Ljungqvist, 2000. "Firm Value and Managerial Incentives: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," OFRC Working Papers Series 2000fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Li, Kai, 2007. "The growth in equity market size and trading activity: An international study," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 59-90, January.
- Yue-Cheong Chan & Congsheng Wu & Chuck Kwok, 2007. "Valuation of global IPOs: a stochastic frontier approach," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 267-284, October.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2010.
"Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors,"
JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation
2010-11, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2012. "Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 125-140, April.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Ortega-Argilés, Raquel & Potters, Lesley & Vivarelli, Marco & Voigt, Peter, 2009. "Corporate R&D and Firm Efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s Top R&D Investors," IZA Discussion Papers 4657, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Leonardo Becchetti & Jaime Humberto Sierra Gonzalez 2, 2003.
"Bankruptcy Risk and Productive Efficiency in Manufacturing Firms,"
CEIS Research Paper
30, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Sierra, Jaime, 2003. "Bankruptcy risk and productive efficiency in manufacturing firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 2099-2120, November.
- Baek, H. Young, 2004. "Corporate diversification and performance: evidence on production efficiency," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 135-152, April.
- Wang, Hung-Jen, 2006. "Stochastic frontier models," MPRA Paper 31079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bill Francis & Iftekhar Hasan, 2001. "The Underpricing of Venture and Nonventure Capital IPOs: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 99-113, April.
- Cristián Celis & Gustavo Maturana, 1998. "Initial Public Offerings In Chile," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 1(1), pages 7-31.
- Kai Li, 2004. "The Growth of Global Equity Markets: A Closer Look," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 54, Econometric Society.
- Koop, Gary & Li, Kai, 2001. "The valuation of IPO and SEO firms," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 375-401, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.