Exchange rate pass-through in Korea and Thailand: Trends and determinants
AbstractAn important but age-old transmission channel of global factors into domestic prices is via exchange rate movements. This paper examines the extent and evolution of exchange rate pass-through (ERPT) into Korea's and Thailand's consumer and import prices at the aggregate level for the period over the last two decades. We find that ERPT appears to be consistently higher for Thailand compared to Korea; while for both nations ERPT of their respective bilateral rates with respect to the US dollar is higher than with respect to the Japanese yen. The paper also investigates if and how ERPT has changed over time, especially during and after the currency crisis period of 1997-1998, as well as its macroeconomic determinants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Japan and the World Economy.
Volume (Year): 21 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505557
Exchange rate pass-though (ERPT) Exchange rate volatility Inflation Korea Thailand;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2002.
"Fear Of Floating,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
NBER Working Papers
2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Tony Cavoli & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2006.
"Inflation Targeting Arrangements in Asia: Exploring the Role of the Exchange Rate,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0603, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Tony Cavoli & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2006. "Inflation Targeting Arrangements In Asia : Exploring The Role Of The Exchange Rate," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22564, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Michael B. Devereux & Charles Engel, 2001. "Endogenous Currency of Price Setting in a Dynamic Open Economy Model," NBER Working Papers 8559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
- Kiyotaka Sato, 1999. "The International Use of the Japanese Yen: The Case of Japan's Trade with East Asia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 547-584, 06.
- Dalia Hakura & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2001. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices," IMF Working Papers 01/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Kiyotaka Sato, 2003. "Currency Invoicing in Japanese Exports to East Asia: Implications for Yen Internationalization," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 17(2), pages 129-154, 06.
- Rajan, Ramkishen S. & Shen, Chung-Hua, 2006. "Why Are Crisis-Induced Devaluations Contractionary? Exploring Alternative Hypotheses," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 21, pages 526-550.
- Weera Prasertnukul & Donghun Kim & Makoto Kakinaka, 2010.
"Exchange Rates, Price Levels, and Inflation Targeting: Evidence from Asian Countries,"
EMS_2010_03, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Prasertnukul, Weera & Kim, Donghun & Kakinaka, Makoto, 2010. "Exchange rates, price levels, and inflation targeting: Evidence from Asian countries," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 173-182, August.
- Eike Berner, 2010.
"Exchange rate pass-through: new evidence from German micro data,"
CEPII research center, issue 124, pages 75-100.
- Berner, Eike, 2011. "Exchange rate pass-through: New evidence from German micro data," Economics Working Papers 2011,01, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.