Cultural and societal influences on shared leadership in globally dispersed teams
AbstractLeading globally dispersed teams poses critical challenges, especially if the team members are not only physically separated, but also culturally diverse and their tasks are dynamic and complex. It has been argued that shared leadership behaviors, such as continuous reflection, anticipation of a team's information needs, and initiating a team's social influence, positively influence virtual team performance. Country-level effects on shared leadership in globally dispersed teams, however, have been neglected. Building on the country institutional profile developed by Kostova (1997), we argue that regulative, cognitive, and normative components influence the likelihood that the individual will engage in shared leadership behaviors. Analyzing the differences between the institutional profiles of team members' home countries as reflected in institutional diversity as a team-level property, we furthermore point to different levels of institutional diversity as an enabling or hindering condition of shared leadership.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Management.
Volume (Year): 16 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akhter, Syed H., 2004. "Is globalization what it's cracked up to be? Economic freedom, corruption, and human development," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 283-295, August.
- Javidan, Mansour & House, Robert J., 2002. "Leadership and cultures around the world: findings from GLOBE: An introduction to the special issue," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-2, April.
- Paul C. Nutt, 2008. "Investigating the Success of Decision Making Processes," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 425-455, 03.
- House, Robert & Javidan, Mansour & Hanges, Paul & Dorfman, Peter, 2002. "Understanding cultures and implicit leadership theories across the globe: an introduction to project GLOBE," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 3-10, April.
- Skaaning, Svend-Erik, 2007. "Explaining post-communist respect for civil liberty: A multi-methods test," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 493-500, May.
- Howell, Jon P. & DelaCerda, José & Martínez, Sandra M. & Prieto, Leonel & Bautista, J. Arnoldo & Ortiz, Juan & Dorfman, Peter & Méndez, Maria J., 2007. "Leadership and culture in Mexico," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 449-462, December.
- Hofstede, G., 2006. "What did GLOBE really measure? Researchers' minds versus respondents' minds," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-194534, Tilburg University.
- Johnson, James P. & Lenartowicz, Tomasz, 1998. "Culture, freedom and economic growth: Do cultural values explain economic growth?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 332-356, January.
- International Monetary Fund, 2000.
"Government Spending, Rights, and Civil Liberties,"
IMF Working Papers
00/205, International Monetary Fund.
- Button, Scott B. & Mathieu, John E. & Zajac, Dennis M., 1996. "Goal Orientation in Organizational Research: A Conceptual and Empirical Foundation," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 26-48, July.
- Kwok Leung & Rabi S Bhagat & Nancy R Buchan & Miriam Erez & Cristina B Gibson, 2005. "Culture and international business: recent advances and their implications for future research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(4), pages 357-378, July.
- Szabo, Erna & Brodbeck, Felix C. & Den Hartog, Deanne N. & Reber, Gerhard & Weibler, Jürgen & Wunderer, Rolf, 2002. "The Germanic Europe cluster: where employees have a voice," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 55-68, April.
- Geert Hofstede, 1994. "Management Scientists Are Human," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(1), pages 4-13, January.
- Raymond E. Levitt & Jan Thomsen & Tore R. Christiansen & John C. Kunz & Yan Jin & Clifford Nass, 1999. "Simulating Project Work Processes and Organizations: Toward a Micro-Contingency Theory of Organizational Design," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(11), pages 1479-1495, November.
- Alanah Davis & Deepak Khazanchi, 2007. "Does Mutual Knowledge Affect Virtual Team Performance? Theoretical Analysis and Anecdotal Evidence," American Journal of Business, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 22(2), pages 57-66.
- Adam, Antonis & Filippaios, Fragkiskos, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and civil liberties: A new perspective," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 1038-1052, December.
- K Praveen Parboteeah & Martin Hoegl & John B Cullen, 2008. "Managers' gender role attitudes: a country institutional profile approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(5), pages 795-813, July.
- Ashkanasy, Neal M. & Trevor-Roberts, Edwin & Earnshaw, Louise, 2002. "The Anglo Cluster: legacy of the British empire," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 28-39, April.
- David A Waldman & Mary Sully de Luque & Nathan Washburn & Robert J House & Bolanle Adetoun & Angel Barrasa & Mariya Bobina & Muzaffer Bodur & Yi-Jung Chen & Sukhendu Debbarma & Peter Dorfman & Rosemar, 2006. "Cultural and leadership predictors of corporate social responsibility values of top management: a GLOBE study of 15 countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 823-837, November.
- Peter H. Gray & Darren B. Meister, 2004. "Knowledge Sourcing Effectiveness," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(6), pages 821-834, June.
- Hoegl, Martin & Proserpio, Luigi, 2004. "Team member proximity and teamwork in innovative projects," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1153-1165, October.
- Geert Hofstede, 2006. "What did GLOBE really measure? Researchers’ minds versus respondents’ minds," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 882-896, November.
- Jac C. Heckelman, 2000. "Economic Freedom and Economic Growth: A Short-run Causal Investigation," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 71-91, May.
- Zander, Lena & Mockaitis, Audra I. & Butler, Christina L., 2012. "Leading global teams," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 592-603.
- Muethel, Miriam & Hoegl, Martin, 2012. "The influence of social institutions on managers’ concept of trust: Implications for trust-building in Sino-German relationships," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 420-434.
- Gunkel, Marjaana & Schlägel, Christopher & Engle, Robert L., 2014. "Culture's Influence on Emotional Intelligence: An Empirical Study of Nine Countries," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 256-274.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.