Tests of the martingale hypothesis for foreign currency futures with time-varying volatility
AbstractThis paper tests the martingale hypothesis for daily and weekly rates of change of futures prices for five currencies. Daily data suggests evidence against the null for each currency. Trading day effects in foreign currency futures and spot prices introduce complicated day of the week patterns in futures prices. For this reason, we retest the martingale hypothesis using weekly data and reject the null for only one currency. For this currency, one interpretation is that of a time-varying risk premium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 3 (1987)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijforecast
Other versions of this item:
- Thomas H. McCurdy & Ieuan G. Morgan, 1986. "Tests of the Martingale Hypothesis for Foreign Currency Futures with Time-Varying Volatility," Working Papers 663, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nijman, T.E. & Roon, F.A. de & Veld, C.H., 1996.
"Pricing Term Structure Risk in Futures Markets,"
1996-78, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jaehun Chung & Yongmiao Hong, 2007. "Model-free evaluation of directional predictability in foreign exchange markets," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 855-889.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Michael Funke, 2008.
"Volatility Transmission between Renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures,"
Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers
20803, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Colavecchio, Roberta & Funke, Michael, 2008. "Volatility transmissions between renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 635-648, December.
- Colavecchio , Roberta & Funke, Michael, 2006. "Volatility transmissions between renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," BOFIT Discussion Papers 16/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Michael Funke & Roberta Colavecchio, 2008. "Volatility Transmission between Renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20812, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Hsieh, Ping-Hung & Yang, J. Jimmy, 2009. "A censored stochastic volatility approach to the estimation of price limit moves," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 337-351, March.
- Baillie, Richard T. & P. Osterberg, William, 1997. "Central bank intervention and risk in the forward market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 483-497, November.
- Geoffrey F. Loudon & Wing H. Watt & Pradeep K. Yadav, 2000. "An empirical analysis of alternative parametric ARCH models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 117-136.
- Alexakis, Panayotis & Apergis, Nicholas, 1996. "ARCH effects and cointegration: Is the foreign exchange market efficient?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 687-697, May.
- Wei, Steven X., 2002. "A censored-GARCH model of asset returns with price limits," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 197-223, March.
- Mougoue, Mbodja & Whyte, Ann Marie, 1996. "Stock returns and volatility: An empirical investigation of the German and French equity markets," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 253-263.
- Bandopadhyaya, Arindam, 1991. "Speculative efficiency and risk premium in the market for foreign exchange : In search of the true specification," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 299-304, July.
- Doroodian, K., 1999. "Does exchange rate volatility deter international trade in developing countries?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 465-474.
- An-Sing Chen, 1997. "The square compass rose: the evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 127-144, June.
- Kai-Li Wang & Christopher Fawson & Christopher B. Barrett & James B. McDonald, 2001.
"A flexible parametric GARCH model with an application to exchange rates,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 521-536.
- Wang, Kai-Li & Fawson, Christopher B. & Barrett, Christopher B. & McDonald, James B., 1998. "A Flexible Parametric Garch Model With An Application To Exchange Rates," Economics Research Institute, ERI Study Papers 28355, Utah State University, Economics Department.
- Chionis, Dionysios & MacDonald, Ronald, 1997. "Some tests of market microstructure hypotheses in the foreign exchange market," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 203-229, October.
- M. Angeles Carnero & Daniel Peña & Esther Ruiz, 2001. "Outliers And Conditional Autoregressive Heteroscedasticity In Time Series," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws010704, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Chihwa Kao, 2001. "Some New Approaches to Formulate and Estimate Friction-Bernoulli Jump Diffusion and Friction-GARCH," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 35, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Atreya Chakraborty & John Barkoulas, 1999. "Dynamic futures hedging in currency markets," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(4), pages 299-314.
- Pan, Ming-Shiun & Chan, Kam C. & C.W. Fok, Robert, 1997. "Do currency futures prices follow random walks?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-15, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.