Optimal investment strategy to minimize the ruin probability of an insurance company under borrowing constraints
AbstractWe consider that the surplus of an insurance company follows a Cramer-Lundberg process. The management has the possibility of investing part of the surplus in a risky asset. We consider that the risky asset is a stock whose price process is a geometric Brownian motion. Our aim is to find a dynamic choice of the investment policy which minimizes the ruin probability of the company. We impose that the ratio between the amount invested in the risky asset and the surplus should be smaller than a given positive bound a. For instance the case a=1 means that the management cannot borrow money to buy stocks. [Hipp, C., Plum, M., 2000. Optimal investment for insurers. Insurance: Mathematics and Economics 27, 215-228] and [Schmidli, H., 2002. On minimizing the ruin probability by investment and reinsurance. Ann. Appl. Probab. 12, 890-907] solved this problem without borrowing constraints. They found that the ratio between the amount invested in the risky asset and the surplus goes to infinity as the surplus approaches zero, so the optimal strategies of the constrained and unconstrained problems never coincide. We characterize the optimal value function as the classical solution of the associated Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation. This equation is a second-order non-linear integro-differential equation. We obtain numerical solutions for some claim-size distributions and compare our results with those of the unconstrained case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 44 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Cramer-Lundberg process Ruin probability Insurance Portfolio optimization Borrowing constraints Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anna Frolova & Serguei Pergamenshchikov & Yuri Kabanov, 2002. "In the insurance business risky investments are dangerous," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 227-235.
- Browne, S., 1995. "Optimal Investment Policies for a Firm with a Random Risk Process: Exponential Utility and Minimizing the Probability of Ruin," Papers 95-08, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Virginia R. Young, 2007.
"Minimizing the Probability of Lifetime Ruin under Borrowing Constraints,"
- Bayraktar, Erhan & Young, Virginia R., 2007. "Minimizing the probability of lifetime ruin under borrowing constraints," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 196-221, July.
- Gaier, Johanna & Grandits, Peter, 2002. "Ruin probabilities in the presence of regularly varying tails and optimal investment," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 211-217, April.
- Vila, Jean-Luc & Zariphopoulou, Thaleia, 1997. "Optimal Consumption and Portfolio Choice with Borrowing Constraints," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 402-431, December.
- Hipp, Christian & Plum, Michael, 2000. "Optimal investment for insurers," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 215-228, October.
- Paulsen, Jostein, 1998. "Sharp conditions for certain ruin in a risk process with stochastic return on investments," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 135-148, June.
- Tatiana Belkina & Christian Hipp & Shangzhen Luo & Michael Taksar, 2011. "Optimal Constrained Investment in the Cramer-Lundberg model," Papers 1112.4007, arXiv.org.
- Li, Zhongfei & Zeng, Yan & Lai, Yongzeng, 2012. "Optimal time-consistent investment and reinsurance strategies for insurers under Heston’s SV model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 191-203.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.