Management-performance relationships in UK joint ventures
AbstractThis paper investigates the management-performance relationship for a sample of UK international joint ventures with partners from developed market economies. Management control is identified in terms of mechanism, extent and focus. Joint venture performance is evaluated by two subjective measures and two objective measures. The findings of the study are, first, that subjective measures of performance are not more significantly associated with the dimensions of management control than are objective measures of performance. Second, where partners dominate or have responsibility for management control they view performance more favourably than partners that do not have dominant management control. Finally, somewhat counter-intuitively the study finds that the nature of management control does not vary with the duration of joint ventures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 7 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John B Cullen & Jean L Johnson & Tomoaki Sakano, 1995. "Japanese and Local Partners Commitment to IJVs: Psychological Consequences of Outcomes and Investments in the IJV Relationships," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(1), pages 91-115, March.
- Jacobson, Robert, 1987. "The Validity of ROI as a Measure of Business Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 470-78, June.
- Donald J Lecraw, 1983. "Performance of Transnational Corporations in Less Developed Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 14(1), pages 15-33, March.
- Keith W. Glaister, 1996. "Strategic Motives For International Alliance Formation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 301-332, 05.
- Arie Y. Lewin & John W. Minton, 1986. "Determining Organizational Effectiveness: Another Look, and an Agenda for Research," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 514-538, May.
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1989. "Control and Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(2), pages 235-254, June.
- J Michael Geringer, 1991. "Strategic Determinants of Partner Selection Criteria in International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 41-62, March.
- Inkpen, Andrew C. & Birkenshaw, Julian, 1994. "International joint ventures and performance: an interorganizational perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 201-217, September.
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1991. "Measuring Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(2), pages 249-263, June.
- Chol Lee & Paul W Beamish, 1995. "The Characteristics and Performance of Korean Joint Ventures in LDCS," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 637-654, September.
- Pierre Dussauge & Bernard Garrette, 1995. "Determinants of Success in International Strategic Alliances: Evidence from the Global Aerospace Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 505-530, September.
- Ming-Chang Huang & Ya-Ping Chiu, 2014. "The antecedents and outcome of control in IJVs: A control gap framework," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 245-269, March.
- Pangarkar, Nitin, 2008. "Internationalization and performance of small- and medium-sized enterprises," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 475-485, October.
- Byung Park, 2010. "What matters to managerial knowledge acquisition in international joint ventures? High knowledge acquirers versus low knowledge acquirers," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 55-79, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.