Banks' regulatory capital buffer and the business cycle: Evidence for Germany
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effect of the business cycle on the regulatory capital buffers of German local banks in the period 1993-2004. The capital buffers are found to fluctuate countercyclically over the business cycle. The evidence supports that low-capitalized banks do not catch up with their well-capitalized peers over the observation period and they do not decrease risk-weighted assets during a recession. This finding suggests that their low capitalization does not force them to retreat from lending.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Stability.
Volume (Year): 7 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jfstabil
Capital regulation Bank capital Business cycle fluctuations;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- Daniel Porath, 2006. "Estimating probabilities of default for German savings banks and credit cooperatives," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 58(3), pages 214-233, July.
- Kishan, Ruby P & Opiela, Timothy P, 2000. "Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 121-41, February.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Milne, Alistair, 2007.
"The Cyclical Behaviour of European Bank Capital Buffers,"
SIFR Research Report Series
56, Institute for Financial Research.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Milne, Alistair, 2008. "The cyclical behaviour of European bank capital buffers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1440-1451, August.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Milne , Alistair, 2006. "The cyclical behaviour of European bank capital buffers," Research Discussion Papers 17/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Joe Peek & Eric Rosengren, 1991.
"The capital crunch: neither a borrower nor a lender be,"
91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995. "The Capital Crunch: Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 625-38, August.
- Joe Peek & Eric Rosengren, 1993. "The Capital Crunch: Neither A Borrower Nor A Lender Be," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 243, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Worms, Andreas, 2001.
"Interbank lending and monetary policy transmission - evidence for Germany,"
Working Paper Series
0073, European Central Bank.
- Ehrmann, M. & Worms, A., 2001. "Interbank Lending and Monetary Policy Transmission: Evidence for Germany," Papers 73, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Worms, Andreas, 2001. "Interbank lending and monetary policy transmission: evidence for Germany," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2001,11, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Günter Lang, Peter Welzel, 1999.
"Mergers Among German Cooperative Banks. A Panel-based Stochastic Frontier Analysis,"
Working Paper Series B
1999-03, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultïät.
- Lang, Gunter & Welzel, Peter, 1999. " Mergers among German Cooperative Banks: A Panel-Based Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 273-86, December.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Furlong, Frederick T. & Keeley, Michael C., 1989. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 883-891, December.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrews, Donald W. K. & Lu, Biao, 2001. "Consistent model and moment selection procedures for GMM estimation with application to dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 123-164, March.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Steve Bond, 2002. "Dynamic panel data models: a guide to microdata methods and practice," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Kahane, Yehuda, 1977. "Capital adequacy and the regulation of financial intermediaries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 207-218, October.
- Lindquist, Kjersti-Gro, 2004. "Banks' buffer capital: how important is risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 493-513, April.
- Claudio Borio & Craig Furfine & Philip Lowe, 2001. "Procyclicality of the financial system and financial stability: issues and policy options," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Marrying the macro- and micro-prudential dimensions of financial stability, volume 1, pages 1-57 Bank for International Settlements.
- Michael Koetter, 2008. "An Assessment of Bank Merger Success in Germany," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 232-264, 05.
- Koehn, Michael & Santomero, Anthony M, 1980. " Regulation of Bank Capital and Portfolio Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1235-44, December.
- Hart, Oliver D & Jaffee, Dwight M, 1974. "On the Application of Portfolio Theory to Depository Financial Intermediaries," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 129-47, January.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Changjun Zheng & Tinghua Xu & Wanxia Liang, 2012. "The empirical research of banks' capital buffer and risk adjustment decision making: Evidence from China's banks," China Finance Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 163-179, April.
- Isabelle Distinguin & Caroline Roulet & Amine Tarazi, 2012. "Bank regulatory Capital Buffer and Liquidity: Evidence from US and European Publicly Traded Banks," Working Papers hal-00918468, HAL.
- Ibrahim Fatnassi & Habib Hasnaoui & Zied Ftiti, 2014. "The impact of bank capital on profitability and risk in GCC countries: Islamic vs. Conventional," Working Papers 2014-413, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Rossignolo, Adrian F. & Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Shaban, Mohamed, 2012. "Value-at-Risk models and Basel capital charges," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 303-319.
- Sudipto Karmakar & Junghwan Mok, 2013.
"Bank Capital and Lending: An Analysis of Commercial Banks in the United States,"
w201318, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Karmakar, Sudipto & Mok, Junghwan, 2013. "Bank Capital and Lending: An Analysis of Commercial Banks in the United States," MPRA Paper 52173, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schätzle, Dominik, 2013. "Eine empirische Analyse der Ertragsauswirkungen der neuen Eigenkapitalvorschriften gem. Basel III auf die Genossenschaftsbanken," Arbeitspapiere 132, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- García-Suaza, Andrés Felipe & Gómez-González, José E. & Pabón, Andrés Murcia & Tenjo-Galarza, Fernando, 2012.
"The cyclical behavior of bank capital buffers in an emerging economy: Size does matter,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1612-1617.
- Andrés Felipe García-Suaza & José E. Gómez-González & Andrés Murcia Pabón & Fernando Tenjo-Galarza, . "The Cyclical Behavior of Bank Capital Buffers in an Emerging Economy: Size Does Matter," Borradores de Economia 650, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Andrés Felipe García-Suaza & Jose Eduardo Gómez-González & Andrés Murcia pabón & Feenando tenjo Galarza, 2011. "The Cyclical Behavior of Bank Capital Buffers in an Emerging Economy: Size Does Matter," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 008305, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gabriel Barros Tavares Peixoto & Gabriel Caldas Montes, 2014. "Risk-Taking Channel, Bank Lendingchannel And The “Paradox Of Credibility”: Empirical Evidence For Brazil," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 030, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Isabelle Distinguin & Clovis Rugemintwari, 2011. "The Role of Market Discipline on Bank Capital Buffer: Evidence from a Sample of European Banks," Working Papers hal-00916739, HAL.
- Coffinet, Jérôme & Coudert, Virginie & Pop, Adrian & Pouvelle, Cyril, 2012. "Two-way interplays between capital buffers and credit growth: Evidence from French banks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 1110-1125.
- Daher, Hassan & Masih, A.Mansur M. & Ibrahim, Mansor H., 2014. "Islamic Banks’ Capital Buffers: Unique Risk Exposures and the Disciplining Effects of Charter Values," MPRA Paper 56947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guidara, Alaa & Lai, Van Son & Soumaré, Issouf & Tchana Tchana, Fulbert, 2013.
"Banks’ Capital Buffer, Risk and Performance in the Canadian Banking System: Impact of Business Cycles and Regulatory Changes,"
44105, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guidara, Alaa & Lai, Van Son & Soumaré, Issouf & Tchana, Fulbert Tchana, 2013. "Banks’ capital buffer, risk and performance in the Canadian banking system: Impact of business cycles and regulatory changes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3373-3387.
- Distinguin, Isabelle & Roulet, Caroline & Tarazi, Amine, 2013. "Bank regulatory capital and liquidity: Evidence from US and European publicly traded banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3295-3317.
- Riccardo Lisa & Stefano Zedda & Francesco Vallascas & Francesca Campolongo & Massimo Marchesi, 2011. "Modelling Deposit Insurance Scheme Losses in a Basel 2 Framework," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 123-141, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.