Overview of recent policy initiatives in response to the crisis
AbstractThis paper describes several (European) regulatory initiatives undertaken following the financial crisis. There have been global responses, such as the FSF and BCBS 2008 Reports; numerous national initiatives, including a new Belgian network; and the European 2008 MOU, with nine common principles. The first concerns objectives; the rest cover three main topics, including: (1) crisis management framework; (2) co-ordination between authorities during crises; (3) choice of resolution policy. The MOU advocates the establishment of cross-border stability groups (CBSG). Finally we discuss the distinction between potential agreements on: (1) burden-sharing principles and (2) burden-sharing rules. Without the possibility of an effective enforcement policy, the former is preferable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Stability.
Volume (Year): 4 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jfstabil
Crisis management framework Cross-border banking problems European regulatory initiatives Burden-sharing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ingo Fender & Janet Mitchell, 2005.
"Structured finance : complexity, risk and the use of ratings,"
Financial Stability Review,
National Bank of Belgium, vol. 3(1), pages 127-135, June.
- Ingo Fender & Janet Mitchell, 2005. "Structured finance: complexity, risk and the use of ratings," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Charles Goodhart & Dirk Schoenmaker, 2009. "Fiscal Burden Sharing in Cross-Border Banking Crises," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(1), pages 141-165, March.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2003:i:may:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2005:i:may:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dietrich, Diemo & Hauck, Achim, 2010. "Government interventions in banking crises: Assessing alternative schemes in a banking model of debt overhang," MPRA Paper 24508, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael R King, 2009. "Time to buy or just buying time? The market reaction to bank rescue packages," BIS Working Papers 288, Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.