A Comparative Analysis Of Ex Ante Credit Spreads: Structured Finance Versus Straight Debt Finance
AbstractStructured finance (SF) – project finance (PF) loans and asset securitization (AS) bonds – and straight debt finance (SDF) – corporate bonds (CB) – transactions are priced in segmented capital markets. Credit spreads are higher for PF loans than they are for AS and CB issues. SF and SDF credit spreads are directly related to default and currency risks, while the slope of the yield curve impacts negatively the credit spreads. The loan to value ratio proves positively related to PF loans and negatively related to AS bonds, while the number of banks has a negative impact on the credit spread for AS and CB issues. PF loan credit spreads and fees are shown to be complements rather than supplements. Borrowers from the U.K. raise funds in PF and CB markets at a higher credit spread and the impact of country risk on the credit spread is positive for PF and CB issues. The 2007/2008 financial crisis have imposed a significant impact on credit spreads. The average credit spread has increased 329.1 bps for PF loans, 206.5 bps for AS bonds, and 220.3 bps for CB issues during the crisis period. Finally, a robust hump-shaped relationship between credit spread and maturity is found for PF loans while a linear positive relationship remains strongly significant for CB.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculdade de Economia e Gestão, Universidade Católica Portuguesa (Porto) in its series Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) with number 05.
Length: 52 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2013
Date of revision:
loan and bond pricing; structured finance; straight debt finance; project finance; asset securitization; corporate bonds; financial crisis; term structure of credit spreads;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1999. "Modeling Term Structures of Defaultable Bonds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 687-720.
- Ingo Fender & Janet Mitchell, 2005.
"Structured finance: complexity, risk and the use of ratings,"
BIS Quarterly Review,
Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Ingo Fender & Janet Mitchell, 2005. "Structured finance : complexity, risk and the use of ratings," Financial Stability Review, National Bank of Belgium, vol. 3(1), pages 127-135, June.
- Giampaolo Gabbi & Andrea Sironi, 2005. "Which factors affect corporate bonds pricing? Empirical evidence from eurobonds primary market spreads," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 59-74.
- Jones, E Philip & Mason, Scott P & Rosenfeld, Eric, 1984. " Contingent Claims Analysis of Corporate Capital Structures: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 611-25, July.
- Yuliya Demyanyk & Otto Van Hemert, 2009.
"Understanding the subprime mortgage crisis,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- Sarig, Oded & Warga, Arthur, 1989. " Some Empirical Estimates of the Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(5), pages 1351-60, December.
- Francesco Corielli & Stefano Gatti & Alessandro Steffanoni, 2010. "Risk Shifting through Nonfinancial Contracts: Effects on Loan Spreads and Capital Structure of Project Finance Deals," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(7), pages 1295-1320, October.
- Hull, John & Predescu, Mirela & White, Alan, 2004. "The relationship between credit default swap spreads, bond yields, and credit rating announcements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2789-2811, November.
- Fons, Jerome S, 1987. " The Default Premium and Corporate Bond Experience," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 81-97, March.
- Jean Helwege & Christopher M. Turner, 1999. "The Slope of the Credit Yield Curve for Speculative-Grade Issuers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(5), pages 1869-1884, October.
- Froot, Kenneth A., 1989. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation with Cross-Sectional Dependence and Heteroskedasticity in Financial Data," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 333-355, September.
- Esty, Benjamin C. & Megginson, William L., 2003. "Creditor Rights, Enforcement, and Debt Ownership Structure: Evidence from the Global Syndicated Loan Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 37-60, March.
- Stefanie Kleimeier & William L. Megginson, 2000. "Are Project Finance Loans Different From Other Syndicated Credits?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 13(1), pages 75-87.
- Rothberg, James P & Nothaft, Frank E & Gabriel, Stuart A, 1989. "On the Determinants of Yield Spreads between Mortgage Pass-Through and Treasury Securities," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 301-15, December.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "The Determinants of Credit Spread Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2177-2207, December.
- Efraim Benmelech & Jennifer Dlugosz, 2009.
"The Alchemy of CDO Credit Ratings,"
NBER Working Papers
14878, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher F Baum, 2006. "An Introduction to Modern Econometrics using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number imeus, March.
- Edwin J. Elton, 2001. "Explaining the Rate Spread on Corporate Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 247-277, 02.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2009. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Thomas, Hugh & Wang, Zhiqiang, 2004. "The integration of bank syndicated loan and junk bond markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 299-329, February.
- Frederic Blanc-Brude & Roger Strange, 2007. "How Banks Price Loans to Public-Private Partnerships: Evidence from the European Markets," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 19(4), pages 94-106.
- Sarai Criado & Adrian van Rixtel, 2008. "Structured finance and the financial turmoil of 2007-2008: and introductory overview," Banco de Espaï¿½a Occasional Papers 0808, Banco de Espa�a.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Maretno Harjoto & Donald J. Mullineaux & Ha-Chin Yi, 2006. "A Comparison of Syndicated Loan Pricing at Investment and Commercial Banks," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 35(4), pages 49-70, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Goncalves).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.