Banking Crisis Management in the EU: An Interim Assessment
AbstractDirector Jean Pisani-Ferry and Senior Fellow AndrÃ© Sapir provide an in-depth examination of the the banking crisis in the European Union, starting with a discussion of the pre-crisis banking landscape and including an assessment of the management of the crisis and the lessons learned going forward. The authors argue that the EU was institutionally ill-prepared to manage the crisis, with the response characterised by ad hoc actions and a lack of transparency. They say, however, that coordination has remarkably not been impeded by a divide within the euro area and policy performance has been better than expected given the sub-optimal nature of EU financial institutional arrangements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bruegel in its series Working Papers with number 359.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Pisani-Ferry, Jean & Sapir, André, 2009. "Banking Crisis Management in the EU: An Interim Assessment," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12380, Paris Dauphine University.
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert A. Eisenbeis & George G. Kaufman, 2007. "Cross-border banking: challenges for deposit insurance and financial stability in the European Union," Working Paper 2006-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Dirk Schoenmaker & Charles Goodhart, 2006. "Burden Sharing in a Banking Crisis in Europe," FMG Special Papers sp164, Financial Markets Group.
- Prati, A. & Schinasi, G.J., 1999. "Financial Stability in European Economic and Monetary Union," Princeton Studies in International Economics 86, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Christiaan van Laecke & Dirk Schoenmaker, 2006. "Current State of Cross-Border Banking," FMG Special Papers sp168, Financial Markets Group.
- David G. Mayes & María J. Nieto & Larry Wall, 2008.
"Multiple safety net regulators and agency problems in the EU: Is Prompt Corrective Action partly the solution?,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0819, Banco de Espa�a.
- Mayes, David G. & Nieto, María J. & Wall, Larry, 2008. "Multiple safety net regulators and agency problems in the EU: Is Prompt Corrective Action partly the solution?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 232-257, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.