The value of compressed air energy storage with wind in transmission-constrained electric power systems
AbstractIn this work, we examine the potential advantages of co-locating wind and energy storage to increase transmission utilization and decrease transmission costs. Co-location of wind and storage decreases transmission requirements, but also decreases the economic value of energy storage compared to locating energy storage at the load. This represents a tradeoff which we examine to estimate the transmission costs required to justify moving storage from load-sited to wind-sited in three different locations in the United States. We examined compressed air energy storage (CAES) in three "wind by wire" scenarios with a variety of transmission and CAES sizes relative to a given amount of wind. In the sites and years evaluated, the optimal amount of transmission ranges from 60% to 100% of the wind farm rating, with the optimal amount of CAES equal to 0-35% of the wind farm rating, depending heavily on wind resource, value of electricity in the local market, and the cost of natural gas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Wind Energy storage Transmission;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walawalkar, Rahul & Apt, Jay & Mancini, Rick, 2007. "Economics of electric energy storage for energy arbitrage and regulation in New York," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2558-2568, April.
- Greenblatt, Jeffery B. & Succar, Samir & Denkenberger, David C. & Williams, Robert H. & Socolow, Robert H., 2007. "Baseload wind energy: modeling the competition between gas turbines and compressed air energy storage for supplemental generation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1474-1492, March.
- DeCarolis, Joseph F. & Keith, David W., 2006. "The economics of large-scale wind power in a carbon constrained world," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 395-410, March.
- Denholm, Paul & Margolis, Robert M., 2007. "Evaluating the limits of solar photovoltaics (PV) in traditional electric power systems," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 2852-2861, May.
- Sioshansi, Ramteen & Denholm, Paul & Jenkin, Thomas & Weiss, Jurgen, 2009. "Estimating the value of electricity storage in PJM: Arbitrage and some welfare effects," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 269-277, March.
- Pattanariyankool, Sompop & Lave, Lester B., 2010. "Optimizing transmission from distant wind farms," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2806-2815, June.
- Fertig, Emily & Apt, Jay, 2011. "Economics of compressed air energy storage to integrate wind power: A case study in ERCOT," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2330-2342, May.
- Moreno, Fermín & Martínez-Val, José M., 2011. "Collateral effects of renewable energies deployment in Spain: Impact on thermal power plants performance and management," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6561-6574, October.
- Loisel, Rodica & Mercier, Arnaud & Gatzen, Christoph & Elms, Nick & Petric, Hrvoje, 2010. "Valuation framework for large scale electricity storage in a case with wind curtailment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7323-7337, November.
- He, Xian & Delarue, Erik & D'haeseleer, William & Glachant, Jean-Michel, 2011.
"A novel business model for aggregating the values of electricity storage,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1575-1585, March.
- Xian He & Erik Delarue & William D'haeseleer & Jean-Michel Glachant, 2010. "A Novel Business Model for Aggregating the Values of Electricity Storage," RSCAS Working Papers 2010/82, European University Institute.
- Tuohy, A. & O'Malley, M., 2011. "Pumped storage in systems with very high wind penetration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 1965-1974, April.
- Wolf-Peter Schill, 2013. "Residual Load, Renewable Surplus Generation and Storage Requirements in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1316, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Delucchi, Mark A. & Jacobson, Mark Z., 2011. "Providing all global energy with wind, water, and solar power, Part II: Reliability, system and transmission costs, and policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1170-1190, March.
- Díaz-González, Francisco & Sumper, Andreas & Gomis-Bellmunt, Oriol & Villafáfila-Robles, Roberto, 2012. "A review of energy storage technologies for wind power applications," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 2154-2171.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.