Ranking DMUs by using interval DEA cross efficiency matrix with acceptability analysis
AbstractCross efficiency method is an extension of data envelopment analysis (DEA), and has been widely used for ranking performance of decision making units (DMUs). To eliminate the non-uniqueness of cross efficiency scores, the aggressive and benevolent strategies have been proposed as secondary goals to determine the unique cross efficiency score. The current paper aims to propose an alternative strategy which does not consider the preference of the decision maker in choosing aggressive or benevolent strategy. Instead, the paper considers all possible weight sets in weight space when computing the cross efficiency and each DMU is given an interval cross efficiency. By using the stochastic multicriteria acceptability analysis (SMAA-2) method, all DMUs in the interval cross efficiency matrix (CEM) could be fully ranked according to the acceptability indices. A numerical example about efficiency evaluation to seven academic departments in a university is illustrated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 223 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Data envelopment analysis (DEA); Cross efficiency; Stochastic multicriteria acceptability analysis (SMAA); Ranking;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Ying-Ming & Chin, Kwai-Sang, 2010. "Some alternative models for DEA cross-efficiency evaluation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 332-338, November.
- Lu, Wen-Min & Lo, Shih-Fang, 2007. "A closer look at the economic-environmental disparities for regional development in China," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(2), pages 882-894, December.
- Tervonen, Tommi & Lahdelma, Risto, 2007. "Implementing stochastic multicriteria acceptability analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 500-513, April.
- Chen, Tser-yieth, 2002. "An assessment of technical efficiency and cross-efficiency in Taiwan's electricity distribution sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 421-433, March.
- Lahdelma, Risto & Hokkanen, Joonas & Salminen, Pekka, 1998. "SMAA - Stochastic multiobjective acceptability analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 137-143, April.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- F. Hutton Barron & Bruce E. Barrett, 1996. "Decision Quality Using Ranked Attribute Weights," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(11), pages 1515-1523, November.
- Green, Rodney H. & Doyle, John R. & Cook, Wade D., 1996. "Preference voting and project ranking using DEA and cross-evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 461-472, May.
- Wu, Jie & Liang, Liang & Yang, Feng, 2009. "Achievement and benchmarking of countries at the Summer Olympics using cross efficiency evaluation method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(2), pages 722-730, September.
- Liang, Liang & Wu, Jie & Cook, Wade D. & Zhu, Joe, 2008. "Alternative secondary goals in DEA cross-efficiency evaluation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 1025-1030, June.
- Alcaraz, Javier & Ramón, Nuria & Ruiz, José L. & Sirvent, Inmaculada, 2013. "Ranking ranges in cross-efficiency evaluations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 516-521.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.