Operating room planning and scheduling: A literature review
AbstractThis paper provides a review of recent operational research on operating room planning and scheduling. We evaluate the literature on multiple fields that are related to either the problem setting (e.g., performance measures or patient classes) or the technical features (e.g., solution technique or uncertainty incorporation). Since papers are pooled and evaluated in various ways, a diversified and detailed overview is obtained that facilitates the identification of manuscripts related to the reader's specific interests. Throughout the literature review, we summarize the significant trends in research on operating room planning and scheduling, and we identify areas that need to be addressed in the future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 201 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
OR in health services Operating room Scheduling Planning Literature review;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Saremi, Alireza & Jula, Payman & ElMekkawy, Tarek & Wang, G. Gary, 2013. "Appointment scheduling of outpatient surgical services in a multistage operating room department," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 646-658.
- Matias Holte & Carlo Mannino, 2011. "The implementor/adversarial algorithm for cyclic and robust scheduling problems in health-care," DIS Technical Reports 2011-03, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Schmid, Verena & Doerner, Karl F. & Laporte, Gilbert, 2013. "Rich routing problems arising in supply chain management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(3), pages 435-448.
- repec:ipg:wpaper:14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alessandro Agnetis & Alberto Coppi & Matteo Corsini & Gabriella Dellino & Carlo Meloni & Marco Pranzo, 2014. "A decomposition approach for the combined master surgical schedule and surgical case assignment problems," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 49-59, March.
- J. Essen & Johann Hurink & Woutske Hartholt & Bernd Akker, 2012. "Decision support system for the operating room rescheduling problem," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 355-372, December.
- Vijayakumar, Bharathwaj & Parikh, Pratik J. & Scott, Rosalyn & Barnes, April & Gallimore, Jennie, 2013. "A dual bin-packing approach to scheduling surgical cases at a publicly-funded hospital," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(3), pages 583-591.
- Gartner, Daniel & Kolisch, Rainer, 2014. "Scheduling the hospital-wide flow of elective patients," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 233(3), pages 689-699.
- De Boeck, Liesje & Belien, Jeroen & Egyed, Wendy, 2011. "Dose optimization in HDR brachytherapy: A literature review of quantitative models," Working Papers 2011/32, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Melo, Teresa, 2012. "A note on challenges and opportunities for Operations Research in hospital logistics," Technical Reports on Logistics of the Saarland Business School 2, Saarland University of Applied Sciences (htw saar), Saarland Business School.
- H. Romero & N. Dellaert & S. Geer & M. Frunt & M. Jansen-Vullers & G. Krekels, 2013. "Admission and capacity planning for the implementation of one-stop-shop in skin cancer treatment using simulation-based optimization," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 75-86, March.
- Nico Dellaert & Jully Jeunet, 2013. "Pareto optimal strategies for improved operational plans of elective patients under multiple constrained resources," Working Papers 2013-014, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Van den Bergh, Jorne & Beliën, Jeroen & De Bruecker, Philippe & Demeulemeester, Erik & De Boeck, Liesje, 2013. "Personnel scheduling: A literature review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 367-385.
- repec:ipg:wpaper:201414 is not listed on IDEAS
- Holte, Matias & Mannino, Carlo, 2013. "The implementor/adversary algorithm for the cyclic and robust scheduling problem in health-care," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 551-559.
- Antti Peltokorpi, 2011. "How do strategic decisions and operative practices affect operating room productivity?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 370-382, November.
- Sauré, Antoine & Patrick, Jonathan & Tyldesley, Scott & Puterman, Martin L., 2012. "Dynamic multi-appointment patient scheduling for radiation therapy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(2), pages 573-584.
- De Vuyst, Stijn & Bruneel, Herwig & Fiems, Dieter, 2014. "Computationally efficient evaluation of appointment schedules in health care," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 237(3), pages 1142-1154.
- Creemers, Stefan & Beliën, Jeroen & Lambrecht, Marc, 2012. "The optimal allocation of server time slots over different classes of patients," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(3), pages 508-521.
- Francesca Guerriero & Rosita Guido, 2011. "Operational research in the management of the operating theatre: a survey," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 89-114, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.