A three-phase approach for operating theatre schedules
AbstractIn this paper we develop a three-phase, hierarchical approach for the weekly scheduling of operating rooms. This approach has been implemented in one of the surgical departments of a public hospital located in Genova (Genoa), Italy. Our aim is to suggest an integrated way of facing surgical activity planning in order to improve overall operating theatre efficiency in terms of overtime and throughput as well as waiting list reduction, while improving department organization. In the first phase we solve a bin packing-like problem in order to select the number of sessions to be weekly scheduled for each ward; the proposed and original selection criterion is based upon an updated priority score taking into proper account both the waiting list of each ward and the reduction of residual ward demand. Then we use a blocked booking method for determining optimal time tables, denoted Master Surgical Schedule (MSS), by defining the assignment between wards and surgery rooms. Lastly, once the MSS has been determined we use the simulation software environment Witness 2004 in order to analyze different sequencings of surgical activities that arise when priority is given on the basis of a) the longest waiting time (LWT), b) the longest processing time (LPT) and c) the shortest processing time (SPT). The resulting simulation models also allow us to outline possible organizational improvements in surgical activity. The results of an extensive computational experimentation pertaining to the studied surgical department are here given and analyzed. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Health Care Management Science.
Volume (Year): 10 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=101767
Scheduling; Simulation; Health economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yigal Gerchak & Diwakar Gupta & Mordechai Henig, 1996. "Reservation Planning for Elective Surgery Under Uncertain Demand for Emergency Surgery," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 321-334, March.
- Bowers, John & Mould, Gillian, 2004. "Managing uncertainty in orthopaedic trauma theatres," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(3), pages 599-608, May.
- Guinet, Alain & Chaabane, Sondes, 2003. "Operating theatre planning," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 69-81, July.
- Kleijnen, Jack P. C., 1995.
"Verification and validation of simulation models,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 145-162, April.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C., 1995. "Verification and validation of simulation models," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-369797, Tilburg University.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C., 1992. "Verification and validation of simulation models," Research Memorandum 542, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Blake, John T. & Carter, Michael W., 2002. "A goal programming approach to strategic resource allocation in acute care hospitals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(3), pages 541-561, August.
- Angela Testi & Elena Tànfani, 2009. "Tactical and operational decisions for operating room planning: Efficiency and welfare implications," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 363-373, December.
- Nico Dellaert & Jully Jeunet, 2013. "Pareto optimal strategies for improved operational plans of elective patients under multiple constrained resources," Working Papers 2013-014, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Francesca Guerriero & Rosita Guido, 2011. "Operational research in the management of the operating theatre: a survey," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 89-114, March.
- Choi, Sangdo & Wilhelm, Wilbert E., 2014. "An approach to optimize block surgical schedules," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(1), pages 138-148.
- repec:ipg:wpaper:14 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ipg:wpaper:201414 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.