An approach for analysing transportation costs and a case study
AbstractOne of the important parameters in the determination of optimal transportation system is economy. Therefore, a realistic method based on the technical, economical and operational parameters of various transportation modes, namely, road, railway, and sea routes is required in the analysis of costs. This method will take into consideration the probable price escalations during the lifetime of a certain transportation system. The cost of a unit of cargo or passenger per route length should be considered since it is an indicator of economics. In this paper, an approach for transportation cost analysis based on the economic analysis of the alternative modes of cargo or passenger transportation, is presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 193 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Logistics Economics Transportation Cost;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Al-Khayyal, Faiz & Hwang, Seung-June, 2007. "Inventory constrained maritime routing and scheduling for multi-commodity liquid bulk, Part I: Applications and model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 106-130, January.
- ARNOLD, Pierre & PEETERS, Dominique & THOMAS, Isabelle, .
"Modelling a rail/road intermodal transportation system,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1695, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Arnold, Pierre & Peeters, Dominique & Thomas, Isabelle, 2004. "Modelling a rail/road intermodal transportation system," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 255-270, May.
- Arnold, Pierre, 2004. "Modelling a rail/road intermodal transportation system," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.1/23298, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Prakash, Satya & Kumar, Pranav & Prasad, B.V.N.S. & Gupta, Anuj, 2008. "Pareto optimal solutions of a cost-time trade-off bulk transportation problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(1), pages 85-100, July.
- Ravn, Morten O. & Mazzenga, Elisabetta, 2004.
"International business cycles: the quantitative role of transportation costs,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 645-671, June.
- Mazzenga, Elisabetta & Ravn, Morten O., 2002. "International Business Cycles: The Quantitative Role of Transportation Costs," CEPR Discussion Papers 3530, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- McCann, Philip, 2001. "A proof of the relationship between optimal vehicle size, haulage length and the structure of distance-transport costs," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 671-693, September.
- Forkenbrock, David J., 1999. "External costs of intercity truck freight transportation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 33(7-8), pages 505-526.
- Ozbay, Kaan & Bartin, Bekir & Yanmaz-Tuzel, Ozlem & Berechman, Joseph, 2007. "Alternative methods for estimating full marginal costs of highway transportation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 768-786, October.
- Pilot, Chris & Pilot, Steve, 1999. "A model for allocated versus actual costs in assignment and transportation problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 112(3), pages 570-581, February.
- Forkenbrock, David J., 2001. "Comparison of external costs of rail and truck freight transportation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 321-337, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.