Comparison of external costs of rail and truck freight transportation
AbstractIn this article we estimate external costs for four representative types of freight trains. For each type of freight train, we estimate three general types of external costs and compare them with the private costs experienced by railroad companies. The general types of external costs include: accidents (fatalities, injuries, and property damage); emissions (air pollution and greenhouse gases); and noise. Resulting private and external costs are compared with those of freight trucking, estimated in an earlier article. Rail external costs are 0.24 cent to 0.25 cent (US) per ton-mile, well less than the 1.11 cent for freight trucking, but external costs for rail generally constitute a larger amount relative to private costs, 9.3-22.6%, than is the case for trucking, 13.2%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 35 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McMullen, B Starr & Stanley, Linda R, 1988. "The Impact of Deregulation on the Production Structure of the Motor Carrier Industry," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(2), pages 299-316, April.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Swanson, Joseph A, 1981. "Economic Performance in Regulated and Unregulated Environments: A Comparison of U.S. and Canadian Railroads," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(4), pages 559-81, November.
- Small, K.A. & Kazimi, C., 1994.
"On the Costs of Air Pollution from Motor Vehicules,"
94-95-3, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Small, Kenneth A. & Kazimi, Camilla, 1995. "On the Costs of Air Pollution from Motor Vehicles," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt0sx81025, University of California Transportation Center.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Swanson, Joseph A, 1981. "Productivity Growth, Scale Economies, and Capacity Utilization in U.S. Railroads, 1955-74," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 994-1002, December.
- Forkenbrock, David J., 1999. "External costs of intercity truck freight transportation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 33(7-8), pages 505-526.
- Lee, Tenpao & Baumel, C. Phillip, 1987. "The Cost of Structure of the U.S. Railroad Industry Under Deregulation," Staff General Research Papers 11685, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sahin, Bahri & Yilmaz, Huseyin & Ust, Yasin & Guneri, Ali Fuat & Gulsun, BahadIr, 2009. "An approach for analysing transportation costs and a case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Santos, Georgina & Behrendt, Hannah & Teytelboym, Alexander, 2010. "Part II: Policy instruments for sustainable road transport," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 46-91.
- Janic, Milan, 2008. "An assessment of the performance of the European long intermodal freight trains (LIFTS)," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(10), pages 1326-1339, December.
- Gorman, Michael F., 2008. "Evaluating the public investment mix in US freight transportation infrastructure," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Iannone, Fedele, 2012. "The private and social cost efficiency of port hinterland container distribution through a regional logistics system," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(9), pages 1424-1448.
- Sathaye, Nakul & Horvath, Arpad & Madanat, Samer, 2010. "Unintended impacts of increased truck loads on pavement supply-chain emissions," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Behrens, Kristian & Gaigne, Carl & Ottaviano, Gianmarco I.P. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2006.
"How density economies in international transportation link the internal geography of trading partners,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 248-263, September.
- BEHRENS, Kristian & GAIGNE, Carl & OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco I.P. & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "How density economies in international transportation link the internal geography of trading partners," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1870, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Henttu, Ville & Hilmola, Olli-Pekka, 2011. "Financial and environmental impacts of hypothetical Finnish dry port structure," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 35-41.
- Delucchi, Mark A. & McCubbin, Donald R., 2010. "External Costs of Transport in the U.S," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt13n8v8gq, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Gould, Gregory & Niemeier, Debbie A., 2009. "Review of Regional Locomotive Emission Modeling and the Constraints Posed by Activity Data," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt3gn498w6, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Runhaar, Hens & van der Heijden, Rob, 2005. "Public policy intervention in freight transport costs: effects on printed media logistics in the Netherlands," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 35-46, January.
- BEHRENS, Kristian & GAIGNE, Carl, .
"Density (dis)economies in transportation: revisiting the core-periphery model,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1944, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Carl Gaigne & Kristian Behrens, 2006. "Density (dis)economies in transportation: revisiting the core-periphery model," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 18(5), pages 1-7.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:18:y:2006:i:5:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sandberg-Hanssen, Thor-Erik & Mathisen, Terje Andreas, 2011. "Factors facilitating intermodal transport of perishable goods - Transport purchaser’s viewpoint," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 49, pages 75-89.
- Bektas, Tolga & Laporte, Gilbert, 2011. "The Pollution-Routing Problem," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 1232-1250, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.