Fiscal policy and the real exchange rate
AbstractThis paper reconsiders some conventional notions about fiscal policy under flexible exchange rates using an extended version of the well-known Dornbusch "overshooting" model. Three widely-held views are challenged: 1) the Mundell-Fleming result that fiscal policy is ineffective under flexible exchange rates; 2) that real shocks (including fiscal policy) do not cause exchange rate overshooting; and 3) that real shocks are not important in explaining high exchange rate variability. In our model, output is affected by fiscal policy in the short and long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 34 (1990)
Issue (Month): 6 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eer
Other versions of this item:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L68 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Appliances; Furniture; Other Consumer Durables
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ahtiala, Pekka, 1998. "Monetary policy under flexible exchange rates: When is expansion contractionary?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 361-378.
- Sohrab Rafiq, 2013. "The Growth and Stabilization Properties of Fiscal Policy in Malaysia," IMF Working Papers 13/149, International Monetary Fund.
- Pekka Ahtiala, 1998. "Fiscal Policy under Flexible Exchange Rates: When is Expansion Contractionary?," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 17-34.
- Zervoyianni, Athina, 1996. "Product-market openness and dynamic responses to exogenous shocks and policies in a two-country, two-goods model," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 269-290.
- Volker Clausen & Hans-Werner Wohltmann, 2011. "Oil Price Shocks and Cyclical Dynamics in an Asymmetric Monetary Union," Ruhr Economic Papers 0247, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Jyh-Lin Wu, 1994. "Fiscal announcements and real exchange rate dynamics," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 177-190, March.
- Wohltmann, Hans-Werner & Winkler, Roland C., 2005. "Oil Price Shocks and Currency Denomination (A revised version of EWP 2005-01)," Economics Working Papers 2005,10, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Rafiq, Sohrab, 2010. "Fiscal stance, the current account and the real exchange rate: Some empirical estimates from a time-varying framework," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 276-290, November.
- Bernd Kempa & Michael Nelles, 1999. "Sticky Prices and Alternative Monetary Feedback Rules: How Robust is the Overshooting Phenomenon?," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 1-18.
- Wohltmann, Hans-Werner & Clausen, Volker, 2003. "Oil Price Shocks and Monetary Policy in an Asymmetric Monetary Union§," Economics Working Papers 2003,11, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Volker Clausen & Hans-Werner Wohltmann, 2013. "Oil Price Dynamics and Monetary Policy in a Heterogeneous Monetary Union," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 233(2), pages 159-187, March.
- Wohltmann, Hans-Werner & Winkler, Roland C., 2005. "Dynamic Effects of Raw Materials Price Shocks for Large Oil-Dependent Economies," Economics Working Papers 2005,01, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.