Dynamische Effekte symmetrischer Nachfrage- und Angebotspolitiken in einer asymmetrischen Währungsunion
AbstractThe paper analyzes the dynamic effects of anticipated symmetric demand and supply side policies within the framework of a macroeconomic model of a small monetary union, which is characterized by asymmetric wage adjustment equations of Phillips' curve type. It is shown that an anticipated simultaneous increase in government expenditure in both member countries leads to a short-run fall in output and to temporary divergences in output developments. From the perspective of the country with the lower wage flexibility the output differential is positive in the short-run. In the course of the subsequent adjustment process the relative cyclical position is reversed. The difference between the two member country outputs changes its sign due to changes in the internal and external terms of trade. Similar results hold with a simultaneous reduction of labor extra-costs in both countries. Compared with a symmetric increase in government expenditure the development of the output differential is essentially opposite in sign.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 222 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Asymmetric monetary union; convoy policy; dynamic two-country-model; fiscal policy; supply side policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Volker Clausen & Hans-Werner Wohltmann, 2013. "Oil Price Dynamics and Monetary Policy in a Heterogeneous Monetary Union," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 233(2), pages 159-187, March.
- Wohltmann, Hans-Werner, 2005. "Dynamische Effekte der Geld-und Fiskalpolitik in einem asymmetrischen Drei-Länder-Modell mit einer Währungsunion," Economics Working Papers 2005,19, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Clausen, Volker & Wohltmann, Hans-Werner, 2005. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy in a Large Asymmetric Monetary Union - A Dynamic Three-Country Analysis," Economics Working Papers 2005,18, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Volker Clausen & Hans-Werner Wohltmann, 2011. "Oil Price Shocks and Cyclical Dynamics in an Asymmetric Monetary Union," Ruhr Economic Papers 0247, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.