A comparison of mean-variance efficiency tests
AbstractWe analyse the asymptotic properties of mean-variance efficiency tests based on generalised methods of moments, and parametric and semiparametric likelihood procedures that assume elliptical innovations. We study the trade-off between efficiency and robustness, and prove that the parametric estimators provide asymptotically valid inferences when the conditional distribution of the innovations is elliptical but possibly misspecified and heteroskedastic. We compare the small sample performance of the alternative tests in a Monte Carlo study, and find some discrepancies with their asymptotic properties. Finally, we present an empirical application to US stock returns, which rejects the mean-variance efficiency of the market portfolio.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 154 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Adaptivity Elliptical distributions Financial returns Portfolio choice Semiparametric estimators;
Other versions of this item:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MEDDAHI, Nour & RENAULT, Éric, 1998.
"Quadratic M-Estimators for ARCH-Type Processes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9814, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Geweke, John, 1981. "The Approximate Slopes of Econometric Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1427-42, November.
- Berk, Jonathan B., 1997. "Necessary Conditions for the CAPM," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 245-257, March.
- Roon, F.A. de & Nijman, T.E., 1998.
"Testing for mean-variance spanning: A survey,"
1998-132, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Enrique Sentana & Gabriele Fiorentini, 2007.
"On The Efficiency And Consistency Of Likelihood Estimation In Multivariate Conditionally Heteroskedastic Dynamic Regression Models,"
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2007. "On the efficiency and consistency of likelihood estimation in multivariate conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic regression models," Working Paper Series 38-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2009.
"Distributional tests in multivariate dynamic models with Normal and Student t innovations,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0929, Banco de Espa�a.
- Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2012. "Distributional Tests in Multivariate Dynamic Models with Normal and Student-t Innovations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 133-152, February.
- Enrique Sentana & Javier Mencía, 2008. "Distributional Tests In Multivariate Dynamic Models With Normal And Student T Innovations," Working Papers wp2008_0804, CEMFI.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2003. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference in Multivariate Conditionally Heteroscedastic Dynamic Regression Models with Student t Innovations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 532-46, October.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Douglas J. Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2001.
"Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently Under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
143, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Keith Vorkink & Douglas J. Hodgson & Oliver Linton, 2002. "Testing the capital asset pricing model efficiently under elliptical symmetry: a semiparametric approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 617-639.
- Oliver Linton & Douglas J.Hodgson & Keith Vorkink, 2001. "Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently Under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach," FMG Discussion Papers dp382, Financial Markets Group.
- Douglas J Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2000. "Testing the Capital Asset Pricing Model Efficiently under Elliptical Symmetry: A Semiparametric Approach," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2000/398, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Douglas J. Hodgson & Oliver Linton & Keith Vorkink, 2004. "Testing forward exchange rate unbiasedness efficiently: a semiparametric approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 325-353, November.
- Vihang Errunza & Ked Hogan & Mao-Wei Hung, 1999. "Can the Gains from International Diversification Be Achieved without Trading Abroad?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2075-2107, December.
- Keith Vorkink, 2003. "Return Distributions and Improved Tests of Asset Pricing Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 845-874, July.
- Marie-Claude Beaulieu & Jean-Marie Dufour & Lynda Khalaf, 2002.
"Testing Mean-Variance Efficiency in CAPM with Possibly Non-Gaussian Errors: an Exact Simulation-Based Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- BEAULIEU, Marie-Claude & DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & KHALAF, Lynda., 2002. "Testing Mean-Variance Efficiency in CAPM with Possibly Non-Gaussian Errors : An Exact Simulation-Based Approach," Cahiers de recherche 2002-17, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Beaulieu, Marie-Claude & Khalaf, Lynda, 2003. "Testing mean-variance efficiency in CAPM with possibly non-gaussian errors: an exact simulation-based approach," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2003,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Ross, Stephen A & Shanken, Jay, 1989. "A Test of the Efficiency of a Given Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1121-52, September.
- Zhou, Guofu, 1991. "Small sample tests of portfolio efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 165-191, November.
- Owen, Joel & Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1983. " On the Class of Elliptical Distributions and Their Applications to the Theory of Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 745-52, June.
- E.K. Berndt & B.H. Hall & R.E. Hall, 1974. "Estimation and Inference in Nonlinear Structural Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 103-116 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huberman, Gur & Kandel, Shmuel, 1987. " Mean-Variance Spanning," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 873-88, September.
- Douglas Hodgson, 2000. "Unconditional pseudo-maximum likelihood and adaptive estimation in the presence of conditional heterogeneity of unknown form," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 175-206.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.