Exact distribution-free tests of mean-variance efficiency
AbstractThis paper develops exact distribution-free tests of unconditional mean-variance efficiency. These new tests allow for unknown forms of non-normalities, conditional heteroskedasticity, and other non-linear temporal dependencies among the absolute values of the error terms in the asset pricing model. Exactness here rests on the assumption that the joint temporal error density is symmetric around zero. This still leaves open the possibility of return distribution asymmetry via coskewness with the benchmark portfolio. A simulation study shows that the new tests have very good power relative to that of many commonly used tests. The inference procedures developed are further illustrated by tests of the mean-variance efficiency of a market index using a 42-year sample of monthly returns on ten U.S. equity portfolios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Empirical Finance.
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin
CAPM Conditional heteroskedasticity Non-parametric tests Robust inference;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Lynda Khalaf, 2000.
"Simulation Based Finite and Large Sample Tests in Multivariate Regressions,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda, 2002. "Simulation based finite and large sample tests in multivariate regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 303-322, December.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & KHALAF, Lynda, 2000. "Simulation-Based Finite and Large Sample Tests in Multivariate Regressions," Cahiers de recherche 2000-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dufour, J.M. & Khalaf, L., 2000. "Simulation-Based Finite and Large Sample Tests in Multivariate Regressions," Cahiers de recherche 2000-10, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Luger, Richard, 2001.
"Exact Non-Parametric Tests for a Random Walk with Unknown Drift under Conditional Heteroscedasticity,"
01-2, Bank of Canada.
- Luger, Richard, 2003. "Exact non-parametric tests for a random walk with unknown drift under conditional heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 259-276, August.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Ross, Stephen A & Shanken, Jay, 1989. "A Test of the Efficiency of a Given Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1121-52, September.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989.
"Data-Snooping Biases in Tests of Financial Asset Pricing Models,"
NBER Working Papers
3001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W & MacKinlay, A Craig, 1990. "Data-Snooping Biases in Tests of Financial Asset Pricing Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(3), pages 431-67.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan) & MacKinlay, Archie Craig, 1955-, 1989. "Data-snooping biases in tests of financial asset pricing models," Working papers 3020-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Duffee, Gregory R., 1995. "Stock returns and volatility A firm-level analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 399-420, March.
- Chow, K. Victor & Denning, Karen C., 1993.
"A simple multiple variance ratio test,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 385-401, August.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWDENNING: RATS procedure to perform Chow-Denning multiple variance ratio test," Statistical Software Components RTS00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Roll, Richard, 1979. "A reply to Mayers and Rice (1979)," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 391-400, December.
- Beaulieu, Marie-Claude & Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda, 2007. "Multivariate Tests of MeanVariance Efficiency With Possibly Non-Gaussian Errors: An Exact Simulation-Based Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 398-410, October.
- Jobson, J. D. & Korkie, Bob, 1982. "Potential performance and tests of portfolio efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 433-466, December.
- Owen, Joel & Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1983. " On the Class of Elliptical Distributions and Their Applications to the Theory of Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 745-52, June.
- Peter BOSSAERTS & Pierre HILLION, 1995. "Testing the Mean-Variance Efficiency of Well-Diversified Portfolios in Very Large Cross-Sections," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 40, pages 93-124.
- Berk, Jonathan B., 1997. "Necessary Conditions for the CAPM," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 245-257, March.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Beaulieu, Marie-Claude & Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda, 2010. "Asset-pricing anomalies and spanning: Multivariate and multifactor tests with heavy-tailed distributions," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 763-782, September.
- Sermin Gungor & Richard Luger, 2013. "Multivariate Tests of Mean-Variance Efficiency and Spanning with a Large Number of Assets and Time-Varying Covariances," Working Papers 13-16, Bank of Canada.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Yamagata, Takashi, 2012.
"Testing CAPM with a Large Number of Assets,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6469, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda & Kichian, Maral, 2013. "Identification-robust analysis of DSGE and structural macroeconomic models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 340-350.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Yamagata, T., 2012. "Testing CAPM with a Large Number of Assets (Updated 28th March 2012)," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1210, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.