Distributional Tests in Multivariate Dynamic Models with Normal and Student-t Innovations
AbstractWe derive Lagrange multiplier and likelihood ratio specification tests for the null hypotheses of multivariate normal and Student-t innovations using the generalized hyperbolic distribution as our alternative hypothesis. We decompose the corresponding Lagrange multiplier-type tests into skewness and kurtosis components. We also obtain more powerful one-sided Kuhn-Tucker versions that are equivalent to the likelihood ratio test, whose asymptotic distribution we provide. Finally, we conduct detailed Monte Carlo exercises to study the size and power properties of our proposed tests in finite samples. © 2011 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 94 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Other versions of this item:
- Enrique Sentana & Javier Mencía, 2008. "Distributional Tests In Multivariate Dynamic Models With Normal And Student T Innovations," Working Papers wp2008_0804, CEMFI.
- Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2009. "Distributional tests in multivariate dynamic models with Normal and Student t innovations," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0929, Banco de Espa�a.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994.
"Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-33, July.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990. "Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2009.
"Multivariate location-scale mixtures of normals and mean-variance-skewness portfolio allocation,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0909, Banco de Espa�a.
- Mencía, Javier & Sentana, Enrique, 2009. "Multivariate location-scale mixtures of normals and mean-variance-skewness portfolio allocation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 105-121, December.
- Enrique Sentana & Javier Mencía, 2008. "Multivariate Location-Scale Mixtures Of Normals And Mean-Variance-Skwness Portfolio Allocation," Working Papers wp2008_0805, CEMFI.
- Davidson, Russel & MacKinnon, James G., 1983.
"Small sample properties of alternative forms of the Lagrange Multiplier test,"
Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 269-275.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981. "Small Sample Properties of Alternative Forms of the Lagrange Multiplier Test," Working Papers 439, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Frank Milne & Dilip Madan, 1991.
"Option Pricing With V. G. Martingale Components,"
1159, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Christian Bontemps & Nour Meddahi, 2002.
"Testing Normality: A GMM Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Magnus, J.R., 1986. "The exact moments of a ratio of quadratic forms in normal variables," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153219, Tilburg University.
- Sargan, J D, 1983. "Identification and Lack of Identification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1605-33, November.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1985. "Maximum Likelihood Specification Testing and Conditional Moment Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1047-70, September.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien, .
"A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Laurent, Sebastien, 2005. "A New Class of Multivariate Skew Densities, With Application to Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 346-354, July.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Chesher, Andrew, 1986. "Specification testing when score test statistics are identically zero," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 121-149, March.
- Sentana, Enrique, 2004.
"Factor representing portfolios in large asset markets,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 257-289, April.
- Sentana, E., 2000. "Factor Representing Portfolios in Large Asset Markets," Papers 0001, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Tauchen, George, 1985. "Diagnostic testing and evaluation of maximum likelihood models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 415-443.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Henrik Hansen, 2008.
"An Omnibus Test for Univariate and Multivariate Normality,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(s1), pages 927-939, December.
- Jurgen A Doornik & Henrik Hansen, . "An omnibus test for univariate and multivariate normalit," Economics Papers W4&91., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 2000. "Inconsistency of the Bootstrap when a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Parameter Space," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 399-406, March.
- Enrique Sentana & Gabriele Fiorentini, 2007.
"On The Efficiency And Consistency Of Likelihood Estimation In Multivariate Conditionally Heteroskedastic Dynamic Regression Models,"
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2007. "On the efficiency and consistency of likelihood estimation in multivariate conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic regression models," Working Paper Series 38-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Giorgio Calzolari & Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2004.
"Constrained Indirect Estimation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(4), pages 945-973, October.
- Sentana,E., 1995.
"Quadratic Arch Models,"
9517, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2004. "On the validity of the Jarque-Bera normality test in conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 307-312, June.
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
- Demos, Antonis & Sentana, Enrique, 1998. "Testing for GARCH effects: a one-sided approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 97-127, June.
- Kilian, Lutz & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2000. "Residual-Based Tests for Normality in Autoregressions: Asymptotic Theory and Simulation Evidence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 40-50, January.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2003. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference in Multivariate Conditionally Heteroscedastic Dynamic Regression Models with Student t Innovations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 532-46, October.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.