Does advertising lower the price of newspapers to consumers? A theoretical appraisal
AbstractWe study whether advertising subsidizes consumers newspapers, prices. Using a model representingthe two-sided network effects between the advertising and printed media industries, we show that theanswer should be nuanced according to the readership,s attitude toward advertising.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 87 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, . "Does advertising lower the price of newspapers to consumers? A theoretical appraisal," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1760, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean J, Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004. "Does Advertising Lower the Price of Newspapers to Consumers ? A Theoretical Appraisal," Working Papers 2004-40, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Filistrucchi, L. & Antonielli, M., 2012.
"Collusion and the Political Differentiation of Newspapers,"
2012-024, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Filistrucchi, L. & Antonielli, M., 2012. "Collusion and the Political Differentiation of Newspapers," Discussion Paper 2012-014, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Marco Antonielli & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2011. "Collusion and the political differentiation of newspapers," Working Papers 11-26, NET Institute, revised Nov 2011.
- Marco Antonielli & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2012. "Collusion and the Political Differentiation of Newspapers," Working Papers Series wp2012_07.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Economia e Dell'Impresa.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Nilssen, Tore & Sørgard, Lars, 2005.
"Financing of Media Firms: Does Competition Matter?,"
01/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Tore Nilssen & Lars Sørgard, 2005. "Financing of Media Firms: Does Competition Matter?," CIE Discussion Papers 2005-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Buehler, Stefan & Halbheer, Daniel, 2012.
"Persuading consumers with social attitudes,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 439-450.
- Stefan Buehler & Daniel Halbheer, 2011. "Persuading Consumers with Social Attitudes," CESifo Working Paper Series 3470, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bühler, Stefan & Halbheer, Daniel, 2011. "Persuading Consumers With Social Attitudes," Economics Working Paper Series 1117, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.