Does advertising lower the price of newspapers to consumers? A theoretical appraisal
AbstractWe study whether advertising subsidizes consumers newspapers, prices. Using a model representingthe two-sided network effects between the advertising and printed media industries, we show that theanswer should be nuanced according to the readership,s attitude toward advertising.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 87 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, . "Does advertising lower the price of newspapers to consumers? A theoretical appraisal," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1760, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean J, Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004. "Does Advertising Lower the Price of Newspapers to Consumers ? A Theoretical Appraisal," Working Papers 2004-40, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Filistrucchi, L. & Antonielli, M., 2012.
"Collusion and the Political Differentiation of Newspapers,"
2012-014, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Filistrucchi, L. & Antonielli, M., 2012. "Collusion and the Political Differentiation of Newspapers," Discussion Paper 2012-024, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Marco Antonielli & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2011. "Collusion and the political differentiation of newspapers," Working Papers 11-26, NET Institute, revised Nov 2011.
- Marco Antonielli & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2012. "Collusion and the Political Differentiation of Newspapers," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_07.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Feng Zhu, 2008. "Ad-sponsored Business Models and Compatibility Incentives of Social Networks," Working Papers 08-20, NET Institute, revised Sep 2008.
- Buehler, Stefan & Halbheer, Daniel, 2012.
"Persuading consumers with social attitudes,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 439-450.
- Bühler, Stefan & Halbheer, Daniel, 2011. "Persuading Consumers With Social Attitudes," Economics Working Paper Series 1117, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Stefan Buehler & Daniel Halbheer, 2011. "Persuading Consumers with Social Attitudes," CESifo Working Paper Series 3470, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stefan Bühler & Daniel Halbheer, 2010.
"Selling When Brand Image Matters,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2010
2010-14, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Stefan Buehler & Daniel Halbheer, 2011. "Selling when Brand Image Matters," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 167(1), pages 102-118, March.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Nilssen, Tore & Sørgard, Lars, 2005.
"Financing of Media Firms: Does Competition Matter?,"
01/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Tore Nilssen & Lars Sørgard, 2005. "Financing of Media Firms: Does Competition Matter?," CIE Discussion Papers 2005-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Lola Esteban & José Hernández, 2012. "Specialized advertising media and product market competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 106(1), pages 45-74, May.
- Ramon Casadesus-Masanell & Feng Zhu, 2009. "Strategies to Fight Ad-sponsored Rivals," Working Papers 09-09, NET Institute, revised Sep 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.