Markov-chain approximations of vector autoregressions: Application of general multivariate-normal integration techniques
AbstractDiscrete Markov chains are helpful for approximating vector autoregressive processes in computational work. We relax G. Tauchen (1986) [Finite state Markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions. Economics Letters 20, 177-181] in practice using multivariate-normal integration techniques to allow for arbitrary positive-semidefinite covariance structures. Examples are provided for non-diagonal and singular non-diagonal error covariances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 110 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Markov approximation Non-diagonal Singular covariance;
Other versions of this item:
- Edward S. Knotek II & Stephen Terry, 2008. "Markov-chain approximations of vector autoregressions: application of general multivariate-normal integration techniques," Research Working Paper RWP 08-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Finite state markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-181.
- Tauchen, George & Hussey, Robert, 1991. "Quadrature-Based Methods for Obtaining Approximate Solutions to Nonlinear Asset Pricing Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 371-96, March.
- Di Nicolo, G. & Gamba, A. & Lucchetta, M., 2011.
"Capital Regulation, Liquidity Requirements and Taxation in a Dynamic Model of Banking,"
2011-090, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- : Gianni De Nicolo & Andrea Gamba & Marcella Lucchetta, 2012. "Capital Regulation, Liquidity Requirements and Taxation in a Dynamic Model of Banking," Working Papers wpn12-04, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Gianni De NicolÃ³ & Andrea Gamba & Marcella Lucchetta, 2012. "Capital Regulation, Liquidity Requirements and Taxation in a Dynamic Model of Banking," IMF Working Papers 12/72, International Monetary Fund.
- De Nicolò, Gianni & Gamba, Andrea & Luccetta, Marcella, 2012. "Capital regulation, liquidity requirements and taxation in a dynamic model of banking," Discussion Papers 10/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Galindev, Ragchaasuren & Lkhagvasuren, Damba, 2010.
"Discretization of highly persistent correlated AR(1) shocks,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1260-1276, July.
- Lkhagvasuren, Damba & Galindev, Ragchaasuren, 2008. "Discretization of highly persistent correlated AR(1) shocks," MPRA Paper 22523, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Damba Lkhagvasuren & Ragchaasuren Galindev, 2008. "Discretization of Highly-Persistent Correlated AR(1) Shocks," Working Papers 08012, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Edward S. Knotek II & Stephen Terry, 2008. "Alternative methods of solving state-dependent pricing models," Research Working Paper RWP 08-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Juan Carlos Hatchondo & Leonardo Martinez & Juan M. Sánchez, 2011.
2011-019, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Lkhagvasuren, Damba, 2013.
"A moment-matching method for approximating vector autoregressive processes by finite-state Markov chains,"
2013-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Damba Lkhagvasuren, 2011. "A Moment-Matching Method for Approximating Vector Autoregressive Processes by Finite-State Markov Chains," Working Papers 11005, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised 16 Dec 2011.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Lkhagvasuren, Damba, 2011. "A new method for approximating vector autoregressive processes by finite-state Markov chains," MPRA Paper 33827, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pedro Gete and Paolo Porchia, 2011. "Fertility and Consumption when Having a Child is a Risky Investment," Working Papers gueconwpa~11-11-03, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.