A note on the accuracy of Markov-chain approximations to highly persistent AR(1) processes
AbstractThis note examines the accuracy of methods that approximate AR(1) processes with discrete Markov chains. Tauchen and Hussey's [Tauchen, G., Hussey, R., 1991. Quadrature-based methods for obtaining approximate solutions to nonlinear asset pricing models. Econometrica 59, 371-396] method has problems under high autocorrelation. I suggest an alternative weighting function, and note that Tauchen's [Tauchen, G., 1986. Finite state Markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions. Economics Letters 20, 177-181] method is relatively robust.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 99 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- Floden, Martin, 2007. "A Note on the Accuracy of Markov-Chain Approximations to Highly Persistent AR(1)-Processes," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 656, Stockholm School of Economics.
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kjetil Storesletten & Chris I. Telmer & Amir Yaron, 2000.
"Consumption and Risk Sharing Over the Life Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
7995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kjetil Storesletten & Chris Telmer & Amir Yaron, 1997. "Consumption and risk sharing over the life cycle," GSIA Working Papers 228, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Storesletten, Kjetil & Telmer, Chris & Yaron, Amir, 2002. "Consumption and Risk Sharing Over the Life Cycle," Seminar Papers 702, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Tauchen, George & Hussey, Robert, 1991. "Quadrature-Based Methods for Obtaining Approximate Solutions to Nonlinear Asset Pricing Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 371-96, March.
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Finite state markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-181.
- Glenn R. Hubbard & Jonathan Skinner & Stephen P. Zeldes, .
"Precautionary Saving and Social Insurance,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
03-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Jonathan Skinner & Stephen P. Zeldes, 1994. "Precautionary Saving and Social Insurance," NBER Working Papers 4884, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn R. Hubbard & Jonathan Skinner & Stephen P. Zeldes, . "Precautionary Saving and Social Insurance," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 3-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1994.
"Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-84, August.
- Galindev, Ragchaasuren & Lkhagvasuren, Damba, 2010.
"Discretization of highly persistent correlated AR(1) shocks,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1260-1276, July.
- Lkhagvasuren, Damba & Galindev, Ragchaasuren, 2008. "Discretization of highly persistent correlated AR(1) shocks," MPRA Paper 22523, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Damba Lkhagvasuren & Ragchaasuren Galindev, 2008. "Discretization of Highly-Persistent Correlated AR(1) Shocks," Working Papers 08012, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Martin Floden, 2008.
"Aggregate Savings When Individual Income Varies,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 70-82, January.
- Fernando M. Martin, 2013.
"Government Policy In Monetary Economies,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 54(1), pages 185-217, 02.
- Pashchenko, Svetlana & Porapakkarm, Ponpoje, 2010.
"Quantitative Analysis of Health Insurance Reform: Separating Community Rating from Income Redistribution,"
26158, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ponpoje Porapakkarm & Svetlana Pashchenko, 2011. "Quantitative Analysis of Health Insurance Reform: Separating Community Rating from Income Redistribution," 2011 Meeting Papers 1254, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jess Benhabib & Alberto Bisin & Shenghao Zhu, 2011.
"The Distribution of Wealth and Fiscal Policy in Economies With Finitely Lived Agents,"
Econometric Society, vol. 79(1), pages 123-157, 01.
- Jess Benhabib & Alberto Bisin, 2009. "The distribution of wealth and fiscal policy in economies with finitely lived agents," NBER Working Papers 14730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gervais & Jonas Fisher, 2008.
"First Time Home Buyers and Residential Investment Volatility,"
2008 Meeting Papers
148, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonas D. M. Fisher & Martin Gervais, 2007. "First-time home buyers and residential investment volatility," Working Paper Series WP-07-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Lkhagvasuren, Damba, 2011. "A new method for approximating vector autoregressive processes by finite-state Markov chains," MPRA Paper 33827, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kartik B. Athreya & Xuan S. Tam & Eric R. Young, 2009. "Are harsh penalties for default really better?," Working Paper 09-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Gust, Christopher & López-Salido, J David, 2009. "Monetary Policy, Velocity, and the Equity Premium," CEPR Discussion Papers 7388, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.