A Note on the Accuracy of Markov-Chain Approximations to Highly Persistent AR(1)-Processes
AbstractThis note examines the accuracy of methods that are commonly used to approximate AR(1)-processes with discrete Markov chains. The quadrature-based method suggested by Tauchen and Hussey (1991) generates excellent approximations with a small number of nodes when the autocorrelation is low or modest. This method however has problems when the autocorrelation is high, as it typically is found to be in recent empirical studies of income processes. I suggest an alternative weighting function for the Tauchen-Hussey method, and I also note that the older method suggested by Tauchen (1986) is relatively robust to high autocorrelation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 656.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 12 Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
numerical methods; income processes; autoregressive process;
Other versions of this item:
- Flodén, Martin, 2008. "A note on the accuracy of Markov-chain approximations to highly persistent AR(1) processes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 516-520, June.
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Finite state markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-181.
- Storesletten, Kjetil & Telmer, Chris & Yaron, Amir, 2002.
"Consumption and Risk Sharing Over the Life Cycle,"
702, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Kjetil Storesletten & Chris Telmer & Amir Yaron, 1997. "Consumption and risk sharing over the life cycle," GSIA Working Papers 228, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Kjetil Storesletten & Chris I. Telmer & Amir Yaron, 2000. "Consumption and Risk Sharing Over the Life Cycle," NBER Working Papers 7995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hubbard, R Glenn & Skinner, Jonathan & Zeldes, Stephen P, 1995.
"Precautionary Saving and Social Insurance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(2), pages 360-99, April.
- Glenn R. Hubbard & Jonathan Skinner & Stephen P. Zeldes, . "Precautionary Saving and Social Insurance," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 3-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Jonathan Skinner & Stephen P. Zeldes, 1995. "Precautionary Saving and Social Insurance," NBER Working Papers 4884, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn R. Hubbard & Jonathan Skinner & Stephen P. Zeldes, . "Precautionary Saving and Social Insurance," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 03-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1994.
"Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-84, August.
- Tauchen, George & Hussey, Robert, 1991. "Quadrature-Based Methods for Obtaining Approximate Solutions to Nonlinear Asset Pricing Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 371-96, March.
- Lkhagvasuren, Damba & Galindev, Ragchaasuren, 2008.
"Discretization of highly persistent correlated AR(1) shocks,"
22523, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Galindev, Ragchaasuren & Lkhagvasuren, Damba, 2010. "Discretization of highly persistent correlated AR(1) shocks," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1260-1276, July.
- Damba Lkhagvasuren & Ragchaasuren Galindev, 2008. "Discretization of Highly-Persistent Correlated AR(1) Shocks," Working Papers 08012, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Gust, Christopher & López-Salido, J David, 2009. "Monetary Policy, Velocity, and the Equity Premium," CEPR Discussion Papers 7388, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fernando M. Martin, 2010.
"Government Policy in Monetary Economies,"
dp10-01, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Kartik B. Athreya & Xuan S. Tam & Eric R. Young, 2009. "Are harsh penalties for default really better?," Working Paper 09-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Lkhagvasuren, Damba, 2011. "A new method for approximating vector autoregressive processes by finite-state Markov chains," MPRA Paper 33827, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jess Benhabib & Alberto Bisin & Shenghao Zhu, 2011.
"The Distribution of Wealth and Fiscal Policy in Economies With Finitely Lived Agents,"
Econometric Society, vol. 79(1), pages 123-157, 01.
- Jess Benhabib & Alberto Bisin, 2009. "The distribution of wealth and fiscal policy in economies with finitely lived agents," NBER Working Papers 14730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonas D. M. Fisher & Martin Gervais, 2007.
"First-time home buyers and residential investment volatility,"
Working Paper Series
WP-07-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Martin Gervais & Jonas Fisher, 2008. "First Time Home Buyers and Residential Investment Volatility," 2008 Meeting Papers 148, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Martin Floden, 2008.
"Aggregate Savings When Individual Income Varies,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 70-82, January.
- Pashchenko, Svetlana & Porapakkarm, Ponpoje, 2010.
"Quantitative Analysis of Health Insurance Reform: Separating Community Rating from Income Redistribution,"
26158, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ponpoje Porapakkarm & Svetlana Pashchenko, 2011. "Quantitative Analysis of Health Insurance Reform: Separating Community Rating from Income Redistribution," 2011 Meeting Papers 1254, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.