A class of quadratic options for exchange rate stabilization
AbstractWe propose the use of a new option which we call 'quadratic,' and that central banks could use to smooth exchange rate volatility through the hedging strategies of the issuers. We derive analytic pricing and hedging formulas. We suggest a criterion to derive the optimal (for the Central Bank) option parameters. Finally, we perform several simulation exercises which show the effectiveness of using this option, with or without conventional spot interventions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
Central Bank intervention Options Hedging strategies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hung, Juann H, 1997. "Intervention strategies and exchange rate volatility: a noise trading perspective," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 779-793, September.
- Priscilla Chiu, 2003. "Transparency versus constructive ambiguity in foreign exchange intervention," BIS Working Papers 144, Bank for International Settlements.
- OusmÃ¨ne Mandeng, 2003. "Central Bank Foreign Exchange Market Intervention and Option Contract Specification: The Case of Colombia," IMF Working Papers 03/135, International Monetary Fund.
- Dowd, Kevin, 1994. "A Proposal to End Inflation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 828-40, July.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1984.
"The Forward Exchange Market, Speculation, and Exchange Market Intervention,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 99(1), pages 45-69, February.
- Jonathan Eaton & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1984. "The Forward Exchange Market, Speculation, and Exchange Market Intervention," NBER Working Papers 1138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liliana Schumacher & Mario I. BlÃ©jer, 2000. "Central Banks Use of Derivatives and Other Contingent Liabilities - Analytical Issues and Policy Implications," IMF Working Papers 00/66, International Monetary Fund.
- Vitale, Paolo, 1999. "Sterilised central bank intervention in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 245-267, December.
- Bhattacharya, Utpal & Weller, Paul, 1992.
"The Advantage to Hiding One's Hand: Speculation and Central Bank Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
737, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bhattacharya, Utpal & Weller, Paul, 1997. "The advantage to hiding one's hand: Speculation and central bank intervention in the foreign exchange market," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 251-277, July.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Zapatero, Fernando & Reverter, Luis F., 2003. "Exchange rate intervention with options," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 289-306, April.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Peter Breuer, 1999. "Central Bank Participation in Currency Options Markets," IMF Working Papers 99/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Garman, Mark B. & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1983. "Foreign currency option values," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 231-237, December.
- Kim, Jerim & Kim, Bara & Moon, Kyoung-Sook & Wee, In-Suk, 2012. "Valuation of power options under Heston's stochastic volatility model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 1796-1813.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.