Ecoefficiency: Defining a role for environmental cost management
AbstractThis study investigates the relationship between environmental performance and productive efficiency in the United States electric utility industry before and after the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments. Using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA), cross-sectional examinations reveal lower polluting plants are more efficient than higher polluting plants. Longitudinal analyses indicate plants can simultaneously reduce pollution and increase relative efficiency. Collectively, these results are evidence that proactive environmental management can reduce environmental costs and thus, lends support for adopting an environmental cost management system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Accounting, Organizations and Society.
Volume (Year): 33 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/aos
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freedman, Martin & Jaggi, Bikki, 1994. "Analysis of the association between pollution performance and input cost factors: The case of electric utility plants," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 31-48.
- Dierkes, Meinolf & Preston, Lee E., 1977. "Corporate social accounting reporting for the physical environment: A critical review and implementation proposal," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 3-22, January.
- Epstein, Marc & Flamholtz, Eric & McDonough, John J., 1976. "Corporate social accounting in the United States of America: State of the art and future prospects," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 23-42, January.
- E. Tylor Claggett & Gary D. Ferrier, 1998. "The efficiency of TVA power distributors," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(6), pages 365-376.
- Jaume Puig-Junoy, 1998. "Technical efficiency in the clinical management of critically ill patients," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 263-277.
- Wildavsky, Aaron, 1994. "Accounting for the environment," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 19(4-5), pages 461-481.
- D'Souza, Julia & Jacob, John & Soderstrom, Naomi S., 2000. "Nuclear decommissioning costs: The impact of recoverability risk on valuation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 207-230, April.
- Eduard A. Pelz & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 2001. "From market failure to market-based solution: policy lessons from clean air legislation," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Aug.
- Ilinitch, Anne Y. & Soderstrom, Naomi S. & E. Thomas, Tom, 1998. "Measuring corporate environmental performance," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4-5), pages 383-408.
- Gray, Rob, 1992. "Accounting and environmentalism: An exploration of the challenge of gently accounting for accountability, transparency and sustainability," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 399-425, July.
- Patten, Dennis M., 1991. "Exposure, legitimacy, and social disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 297-308.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Patten, Dennis M., 2002. "The relation between environmental performance and environmental disclosure: a research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 763-773, November.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas D. & Lambroukos, Nikos & Seiford, Lawrence, 1999. "Data envelopment scenario analysis for setting targets to electricity generating plants," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 413-428, June.
- Goto, Mika & Tsutsui, Miki, 1998. "Comparison of Productive and Cost Efficiencies Among Japanese and US Electric Utilities," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 177-194, April.
- Grosskopf, S. & Valdmanis, V., 1987. "Measuring hospital performance : A non-parametric approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 89-107, June.
- Wiseman, Joanne, 1982. "An evaluation of environmental disclosures made in corporate annual reports," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 53-63, January.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Tyteca, Daniel, 1996. "An activity analysis model of the environmental performance of firms--application to fossil-fuel-fired electric utilities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 161-175, August.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Greene, William H, 1976. "Economies of Scale in U.S. Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 655-76, August.
- Gray, Rob, 2002. "The social accounting project and Accounting Organizations and Society Privileging engagement, imaginings, new accountings and pragmatism over critique?," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 687-708, October.
- Andrew King & Michael Lenox, 2002. "Exploring the Locus of Profitable Pollution Reduction," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(2), pages 289-299, February.
- Neu, D. & Warsame, H. & Pedwell, K., 1998. "Managing public impressions: environmental disclosures in annual reports," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 265-282, April.
- Patten, Dennis M., 1992. "Intra-industry environmental disclosures in response to the Alaskan oil spill: A note on legitimacy theory," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 471-475, July.
- Hagg, Ingemund & Hedlund, Gunnar, 1979. ""Case studies" in accounting research," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 4(1-2), pages 135-143, January.
- Herbohn, Kathleen, 2005. "A full cost environmental accounting experiment," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 519-536, August.
- Solomons, David, 1991. "Accounting and social change: A neutralist view," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 287-295.
- Rubenstein, Daniel Blake, 1992. "Bridging the gap between green accounting and black ink," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 501-508, July.
- Darrell, W. & Schwartz, Bill N., 1997. "Environmental disclosures and public policy pressure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 125-154.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Hughes, Susan B. & Anderson, Allison & Golden, Sarah, 2001. "Corporate environmental disclosures: are they useful in determining environmental performance?," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 217-240.
- Al-Tuwaijri, Sulaiman A. & Christensen, Theodore E. & Hughes, K. II, 2004. "The relations among environmental disclosure, environmental performance, and economic performance: a simultaneous equations approach," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(5-6), pages 447-471.
- Henri, Jean-François & Journeault, Marc, 2010. "Eco-control: The influence of management control systems on environmental and economic performance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Welch, Eric & Barnum, Darold, 2009. "Joint environmental and cost efficiency analysis of electricity generation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2336-2343, June.
- Collins C. Ngwakwe, 2009. "Justifying Environmental Cost Allocation in a Multiple Product Firm: A Case Study," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 7(4), pages 403-420.
- Marc Journeault, 2010. "The Influence Of Eco-Control On Environmental And Economic Performance: A Natural Resourcebased Approach," Post-Print hal-00481559, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.