Labour Supply and Saving Under Uncertainty
AbstractThis article examines how variations in labour supply can be used to self-insure against wage uncertainty and the impact of such self-insurance on precautionary saving. The analytical framework is a two-period model with saving and labour-supply decisions, where preferences are consistent with balanced growth. The main findings are that (i) labour-supply flexibility raises precautionary saving when future wages are uncertain, and (ii) uncertainty about future wages raises current labour supply and reduces future labour supply. Copyright 2006 The Author. Journal compilation Royal Economic Society 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 116 (2006)
Issue (Month): 513 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albert Marcet & Francesc Obiols-Homs & Philippe Weil, 2003.
"Incomplete Markets, Labor Supply and Capital Accumulation,"
173, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Marcet, Albert & Obiols-Homs, Francesc & Weil, Philippe, 2007. "Incomplete markets, labor supply and capital accumulation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2621-2635, November.
- Albert Marcet & Francesc Obiols-Homs & Philippe Weil, 2003. "Incomplete Markets, Labor Supply and Capital Accumulation," Sciences Po publications 659, Sciences Po.
- Albert Marcet & Francesc Obiols-Homs & Philippe Weil, 2002. "Incomplete markets, labor supply and capital accumulation," Economics Working Papers 659, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2003.
- Albert Marcet & Francesc Obiols-Homs & Philippe Weil, 2007. "Incomplete Markets, Labor Supply and Capital Accumulation," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/8623, Sciences Po.
- Philippe Weil & Miles Kimball, 2008.
"Precautionary saving and consumption smoothing across time and possibilities,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/13432, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Miles Kimball & Philippe Weil, 2009. "Precautionary Saving and Consumption Smoothing across Time and Possibilities," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(2-3), pages 245-284, 03.
- Kimball, M. & Weil, P., 1991. "Precautionary Savings and Consumption Smoothing Across Time and Possibilities," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1563, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Miles Kimball & Philippe Weil, 2003. "Precautionary Saving and Consumption Smoothing Across Time and Possibilities," Sciences Po publications 4005, Sciences Po.
- Miles Kimball & Philippe Weil, 1992. "Precautionary Saving and Consumption Smoothing Across Time and Possibilities," NBER Working Papers 3976, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miles Kimball & Philippe Weil, 1992. "Precautionary Saving and Consumption Smoothing Across Time and Possibilities," Sciences Po publications 3976, Sciences Po.
- Kimball, Miles S & Weil, Philippe, 2003. "Precautionary Saving and Consumption Smoothing Across Time and Possibilities," CEPR Discussion Papers 4005, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eric French, 2004.
"The Effects of Health, Wealth and Wages on Labor Supply and Retirement Behavior,"
2004 Meeting Papers
96, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Eric French, 2005. "The Effects of Health, Wealth, and Wages on Labour Supply and Retirement Behaviour," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(2), pages 395-427.
- Eric French, 2000. "The effects of health, wealth, and wages on labor supply and retirement behavior," Working Paper Series WP-00-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1970. "The Effect of Uncertainty on Saving Decisions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 353-60, July.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1972.
"Maximum Principles in Analytical Economics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 249-62, June.
- Bodie, Zvi & Merton, Robert C. & Samuelson, William F., 1992.
"Labor supply flexibility and portfolio choice in a life cycle model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 427-449.
- Zvi Bodie & Robert C. Merton & William F. Samuelson, 1992. "Labor Supply Flexibility and Portfolio Choice in a Life-Cycle Model," NBER Working Papers 3954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huggett, Mark & Ospina, Sandra, 2001. "Aggregate precautionary savings: when is the third derivative irrelevant?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 373-396, October.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," NBER Working Papers 2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Parker & Tim Barmby & Yacine Belghitar, 2004.
"Wage Uncertainty And The Labour Supply Of Self-Employed Workers,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
67, Royal Economic Society.
- Simon C. Parker & Yacine Belghitar & Tim Barmby, 2005. "Wage Uncertainty and the Labour Supply of Self-Employed Workers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(502), pages C190-C207, 03.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Rosen, Harvey S., 1980. "Labor supply, uncertainty, and efficient taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 365-374, December.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1993.
"Uninsured idiosyncratic risk and aggregate saving,"
502, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hartwick, John M., 2000. "Labor supply under wage uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 319-325, September.
- Kjetil Storesletten & Chris I. Telmer & Amir Yaron, 2004. "Cyclical Dynamics in Idiosyncratic Labor Market Risk," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(3), pages 695-717, June.
- Neng Wang, 2003. "Caballero Meets Bewley: The Permanent-Income Hypothesis in General Equilibrium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 927-936, June.
- DREZE, Jacques H. & MODIGLIANI, Franco, .
"Cosumption decisions under uncertainty,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-119, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1988. "Production, growth and business cycles : I. The basic neoclassical model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 195-232.
- Hugo Benitez-Silva, 2001. "A Dynamic Model of Job Search Behavior over the Life Cycle with Empirical Applications," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 100, Society for Computational Economics.
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala & Dennis Snower, 2007.
"The Macroeconomics of the Labor Market: Three Fundamental Views,"
Kiel Working Papers
1378, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala & Dennis Snower, 2007. "The macroeconomics of the labor market: three fundamental views," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 151-180, December.
- Karanassou, Marika & Sala, Hector & Snower, Dennis J., 2006. "The Macroeconomics of the Labor Market: Three Fundamental Views," IZA Discussion Papers 2480, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marika Karanassou & Hèctor Sala & Dennis J. Snower, 2006. "The macroeconomics of the labor market: Three fundamental views," Working Papers CREAP2006-15, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2006.
- Josep Pijoan-Mas, 2003.
"Precautionary Savings Or Working Longer Hours?,"
- Leif Danziger, 2009.
"Noncompliance and the Effects of the Minimum Wage on Hours and Welfare in Competitive Labor Markets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2786, CESifo Group Munich.
- Danziger, Leif, 2009. "Noncompliance and the effects of the minimum wage on hours and welfare in competitive labor markets," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 625-630, December.
- Danziger, Leif, 2009. "Noncompliance and the Effects of the Minimum Wage on Hours and Welfare in Competitive Labor Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 4408, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp & Diego Nocetti, 2011. "On Multivariate Prudence," Working Papers halshs-00635558, HAL.
- Tatiana Damjanovic & Vladislav Damjanovic & Charles Nolan, 2013. "Universal vs separated banking with deposit insurance in a macro model," Discussion Papers 1308, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.