Okun's law in the french regions: a cross-regional comparison
AbstractThis article tackles one central issue in the regional science literature: the persistence of regional disparities in unemployment within national economies. Our approach is original as Okun's coefficients are estimated for each of the 22 administrative French regions over the period 1990–2008, taking into account cross-regional disparities in a panel data specification. Estimates show that the coefficients exhibit regional differences. Indeed, Okun's law is confirmed in fourteen regions, although it does not hold in the other eight regions. Finally, region-specific factors that explain the results that are not significant are identified, and policies to reduce unemployment in French regions are examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Okun's law; regional labour markets; panel data;
Other versions of this item:
- Marie-Estelle Binet & François Facchini, 2012. "Okun’S Law In The French Regions: A Cross-Regional Comparison," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201222, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Marie-Estelle Binet & François Facchini, 2013. "Okun'S Law In The French Regions: A Cross-Regional Comparison," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00812549, HAL.
- J6 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuseppe Croce & Emanuela Ghignoni, 2011.
"Overeducation and spatial flexibility in Italian local labour markets,"
145, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Croce, Giuseppe & Ghignoni, Emanuela, 2011. "Overeducation and spatial flexibility in Italian local labour markets," MPRA Paper 29670, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Moosa, Imad A., 1997. "A Cross-Country Comparison of Okun's Coefficient," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 335-356, June.
- Dimitris Christopoulos, 2004.
"The relationship between output and unemployment: Evidence from Greek regions,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 83(3), pages 611-620, 07.
- Dimitris Christopoulos, 2004. "The relationship between output and unemployment: Evidence from Greek regions," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 83(3), pages 611-620, 07.
- Adolfo Maza & José Villaverde, 2007. "Okun's law in the Spanish regions," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 18(5), pages 1-11.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Wu, Ping X., 1999. "Unequally Spaced Panel Data Regressions With Ar(1) Disturbances," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 814-823, December.
- Villaverde, José & Maza, Adolfo, 2009. "The robustness of Okun's law in Spain, 1980-2004: Regional evidence," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 289-297.
- Nicholas Apergis & Anthony Rezitis, 2003. "An examination of Okun's law: evidence from regional areas in Greece," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(10), pages 1147-1151.
- Roberto Bande & Melchor Fernandez & Victor Montuenga, 2007. "Regional Disparities in the Unemployment Rate: The Role of the Wage-setting Mechanism in Spain, 1987-92," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 235-251.
- David Shepherd & Robert Dixon, 2002. "The Relationship Between Regional and National Unemployment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 469-480.
- Prachowny, Martin F J, 1993. "Okun's Law: Theoretical Foundations and Revised Estimates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 331-36, May.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:18:y:2007:i:5:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rui M. Pereira, 2013. "Okun's Law and Regional Spillovers:Evidence from Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Areas," Working Papers 140, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Marie-Estelle Binet & François Facchini, 2013. "Determinants of Entrepreneurship in French Regions: The Role of Spatial Heterogeneity," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201312, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Ryan W Herzog, 2013. "An Analysis of Okun's Law, the Natural Rate, and Voting Preferences for the 50 States," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 2504-2517.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.