The robustness of Okun's law in Spain, 1980-2004: Regional evidence
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to analyse Okun's law for the Spanish regions over the period 1980-2004. Based on its "gap" specification, the results show that an inverse relationship between unemployment and output holds for most of the regions and for the whole country. However, the quantitative values of Okun's coefficients are quite different, a result that is partially explained by regional disparities in productivity growth. These differences imply that, when it comes to policy issues, conventional aggregate demand/supply management policies should be combined with region-specific policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 31 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
Okun's law Unemployment Output Productivity Spanish regions;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sahin, Afsin & Tansel, Aysit & Berument, Hakan, 2011.
"Output-Employment Relationship across Sectors: A Long- versus Short-Run Perspective,"
46875, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Jun 2012.
- Sahin, Afsin & Tansel, Aysit & Berument, Hakan, 2013. "Output-Employment Relationship across Sectors: A Long- versus Short-Run Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 7599, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Afþin Þahin & Aysýt Tansel & M. Hakan Berument, 2013. "Output-Employment Relationship Across Sectors: A Long- Versus Short-Run Perspective," Working Papers 2013/9, Turkish Economic Association.
- Afsin Sahin & Aysit Tansel & M.Hakan Berument, 2013. "Output-Employment Relationship across Sectors:A Long- versus Short-Run Perspective," ERC Working Papers 1305, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised May 2013.
- Afsin Sahin & Aysit Tansel & M. Hakan Berument, 2013. "Output-Employment Relationship across Sectors: A Long- versus Short-Run Perspective," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1311, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Marie-Estelle Binet & François Facchini, 2012.
"Okun’S Law In The French Regions: A Cross-Regional Comparison,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen)
201222, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Binet Marie-estelle & Francois Facchini, 2013. "Okun's law in the french regions: a cross-regional comparison," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 420-433.
- Marie-Estelle Binet & François Facchini, 2013. "Okun'S Law In The French Regions: A Cross-Regional Comparison," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00812549, HAL.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Leat, Philip M.K. & Renwick, Alan W., 2012.
"The relationship between output and unemployment in Scotland: A regional analysis,"
131465, Scottish Agricultural College, Land Economy Research Group.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Leat, Philip M.K. & Renwick, Alan W., 2012. "The relationship between output and unemployment in Scotland: A regional analysis," Working Papers 131465, Scotland's Rural College (formerly Scottish Agricultural College), Land Economy & Environment Research Group.
- Brock, Gregory & German-Soto, Vicente, 2013. "Regional industrial growth in Mexico: Do human capital and infrastructure matter?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 228-242.
- Ryan W Herzog, 2013. "An Analysis of Okun's Law, the Natural Rate, and Voting Preferences for the 50 States," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 2504-2517.
- Rui M. Pereira, 2013. "Okun's Law and Regional Spillovers:Evidence from Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Areas," Working Papers 140, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.