Straightening out the concept of direct and indirect input requirements
AbstractGim & Kim (1998) proposed a generalization of Jeong (1982, 1984) reinterpretation of the Hawkins-Simon condition for macroeconomic stability to off-diagonal matrix elements. This generalization is conceptually relevant for it offers a complementary view of interindustry linkages beyond final or net output influence. The extension is completely similar to the ‘total flow' idea introduced by Szyrmer (1992) or the ‘output-to-output' multiplier of Miller & Blair (2009). However the practical implementation of Gim & Kim is actually faulty since it confuses the appropriate order of output normalization. We provide a new and elementary solution for the correct formalization using standard interindustry concepts. The advantage of our approach is that it unravels and clarifies the step by step actual mechanisms behind the accounting rules.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
output multipliers; input multipliers;
Other versions of this item:
- Ferran Sancho, 2011. "Straightening out the concept of direct and indirect input requirements," UFAE and IAE Working Papers, Unitat de Fonaments de l'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (UAB) and Institut d'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (CSIC) 887.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theodore Mariolis & Eleftheria Rodousaki, 2011. "Total Requirements for Gross Output and Intersectoral Linkages: A Note on Dmitriev's Contribution to the Theory of Profits ," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(1), pages 67-75.
- Ferran Sancho, 2012.
"Some Conceptual Difficulties Regarding 'Net' Multipliers,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers, Unitat de Fonaments de l'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (UAB) and Institut d'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (CSIC)
910.12, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ferran Sancho, 2013. "Some conceptual difficulties regarding ‘net’ multipliers," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 537-552, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.