Trade and the Environment in Latin America: Examining the Linkage with the USA
AbstractThis paper investigates how trade of "dirty" goods with the USA can affect the environmental pollution in Latin American (LA). By controlling for trade openness, the share of manufacturing in GDP, and the trade of pollution-intensive products with USA, CO2 emissions are estimated for 14 LA countries between 1986 and 1999. Our results show that increasing exports of "dirty" products to the USA tends to raise CO2 emissions in LA countries, while the opposite results occur for growing imports of those goods from the USA. Since the effect of "dirty" imports from the USA is larger than the effect of "dirty" exports to the USA, our results indicate that the trade of "dirty" products with the USA on the whole reduces CO2 emissions in LA countries during the estimation period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 6 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Trade Pollution Environmental Kuznets curves Inter-American relationship;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suri, Vivek & Chapman, Duane, 1998. "Economic growth, trade and energy: implications for the environmental Kuznets curve," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 195-208, May.
- Grossman, Gene & Krueger, Alan B, 1992.
"Environmental Impacts of a North American Free Trade Agreement,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, G.M & Krueger, A.B., 1991. "Environmental Impacts of a North American Free Trade Agreement," Papers, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs 158, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1991. "Environmental Impacts of a North American Free Trade Agreement," NBER Working Papers 3914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cole, Matthew A., 2004. "Trade, the pollution haven hypothesis and the environmental Kuznets curve: examining the linkages," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 71-81, January.
- Werner Antweiler & Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 2001.
"Is Free Trade Good for the Environment?,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 877-908, September.
- Kander, Astrid & Lindmark, Magnus, 2006. "Foreign trade and declining pollution in Sweden: a decomposition analysis of long-term structural and technological effects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(13), pages 1590-1599, September.
- Cole, Matthew A., 2003. "Development, trade, and the environment: how robust is the Environmental Kuznets Curve?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 557-580, October.
- Aguayo, Francisco & Gallagher, Kevin P., 2005. "Economic reform, energy, and development: the case of Mexican manufacturing," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 829-837, May.
- Stern, David I., 2004.
"The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
World Development, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1419-1439, August.
- David I. Stern, 2003. "The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics 0302, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Susmita Dasgupta & Benoit Laplante & Hua Wang & David Wheeler, 2002. "Confronting the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 147-168, Winter.
- Cole, Matthew A. & Elliott, Robert J. R., 2003. "Determining the trade-environment composition effect: the role of capital, labor and environmental regulations," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 363-383, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.