Second Homes In The Spanish Regions: Evolution In 2001-2007 And Impact On Tourism, Gdp And Employment
AbstractWe present a provisional estimation of the evolution of second homes in the Spanish regions over the period 2001-2007, using this variable as one of the most important indicators of non hotel tourism, and compare with trends in the previous decade. We cite several studies and information related with the impact of second homes in Europe and North America. One conclusion regarding the number of second homes built in Spain during the last years is that, despite the housing boom, the annual percentage increase in 2001-2007 was very alike to the previous period 1991-2001. Spain is a country with very high demand for second homes, both for Spaniards and foreigners. We present a comparison of the number of overnight stays in second homes and hotels which show the great economic importance of both types of tourism. Finally we estimate several econometric models that take into account the impact of second homes on regional production and employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lopez, Carmen, 2002. "Modelos econometricos del mercado de la vivienda en las regiones españolas," Economic Development 59, University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics..
- F. J. Ledesma-Rodríguez & M. Navarro-Ibánez & J. V. Pérez-Rodríguez, . "Panel data and tourism demand. The case of Tenerife," Working Papers 99-17, FEDEA.
- Martin Dijst & Martin Lanzendorf & Angela Barendregt & Leo Smit, 2005. "Second Homes In Germany And The Netherlands: Ownership And Travel Impact Explained," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 96(2), pages 139-152, 04.
- Guisan, M.C. & Aguayo, E., 2008. "Evolucion Del Turismo Hotelero En Las Regiones Españolas, 2001-2008," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 8(1), pages 129-142.
- Guisan, M.Carmen & Neira, I, 2001. "Un analisis econometrico del turismo hotelero y extra-hotelero en las regiones y provincias españolas," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 1(2), pages 121-140.
- Guisan, M.C., 2004. "Education, Research and Manufacturing in EU25: An Inter-Sectoral Econometric Model of 151 European Regions, 1995-2000," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(2), pages 21-32.
- Lopez-Andion, Carmen, 2002. "El comportamiento de los precios de la vivienda en las regiones españolas," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 2(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.