Education, Research and Manufacturing in EU25: An Inter-Sectoral Econometric Model of 151 European Regions, 1995-2000
AbstractThis article presents a comparative analysis of regional development in European Union countries after the Enlargement of year 2004 to 25 Countries of Western, Central and East Europe. We analysis the evolution of 151 regions of those countries during the period 1995-2000 and present some interregional econometric models which show the positive role of the education, research and manufacturing on economic development. These conclusions lead to some recommendations about regional policies in European Union, which should be more active than passive, as to say not only limited to some social cohesion funds but also addressed to support education, research, manufacturing and other activities which have a significant role in regional development in all European regions, particularly in those with low levels of financial support from their own countries. Those regional policies should be developed in cooperation with economics researchers and other experts from different countries of Europe fostering communication between EU institutions, university researchers and society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 4 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- H52 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Education
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guisán, M.C. & Expósito, P, 2011. "Regional Employment and Unemployment by Gender in Spain in comparison with other European Countries," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 11(1).
- GUISAN, Maria-Carmen & AGUAYO, Eva, 2010. "Second Homes In The Spanish Regions: Evolution In 2001-2007 And Impact On Tourism, Gdp And Employment," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(2).
- RODOKANAKIS, Stavros & VLACHOS, Vasileios, 2010. "A Non-Experimental Evaluation Of Education And Training In Greece: The Cases Of Northern Aegean And Crete," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.