Unemployment Incidence of Immigrant Men in Canada
AbstractThe unemployment incidence of immigrant and non-immigrant men in Canada is compared using 11 cross-sectional surveys spanning the years from 1982 to 1993. Recent immigrants are found to have higher unemployment probabilities than nonimmigrants with the difference being larger in recession years. Subsequently, measures of unemployment assimilation of immigrants are found to be sensitive to the macroeconomic conditions of the survey years. The main implication of the results for policy is that recent immigrants would benefit most from labour market programs that facilitate the transition of unemployed immigrants back to employment during recessions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Toronto Press in its journal Canadian Public Policy.
Volume (Year): 23 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Paul W, 1986. "Immigrant Unemployment in the First Year of Australian Labour Market Activity," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 62(176), pages 82-87, March.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen J. Trejo, 1991.
"Immigrant Participation in the Welfare System,"
NBER Working Papers
3423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baker, Michael & Benjamin, Dwayne, 1994. "The Performance of Immigrants in the Canadian Labor Market," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(3), pages 369-405, July.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Inglis, Paul A & Stromback, Thorsten, 1986. "Migrants' Unemployment: The Determinants of Employment Success," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 62(178), pages 310-24, September.
- Borjas, George J, 1985. "Assimilation, Changes in Cohort Quality, and the Earnings of Immigrants," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(4), pages 463-89, October.
- LaLonde, Robert J & Topel, Robert H, 1991. "Immigrants in the American Labor Market: Quality, Assimilation, and Distributional Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 297-302, May.
- Ather H. Akbari, 1989. "The Benefits of Immigrants to Canada: Evidence on Tax and Public Services," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 15(4), pages 424-435, December.
- McDonald, J.T. & Worswick, C., 1996. "Unemployment Incidence of Immigrants Over the Business Cycles," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 523, The University of Melbourne.
- Antecol, Heather & Kuhn, Peter J. & Trejo, Stephen, 2003. "Assimilation via Prices or Quantities? Labor Market Institutions and Immigrant Earnings Growth in Australia, Canada, and the United States," IZA Discussion Papers 802, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Akay, Alpaslan & Karabulut, Gokhan & Tezic, Kerem, 2006. "Economic Performance of Turkish Immigrant Men in the European Labour-Market: Evidence from Sweden," Working Papers in Economics 240, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Picot, Garnett Sweetman, Arthur, 2005. "The Deteriorating Economic Welfare of Immigrants and Possible Causes: Update 2005," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2005262e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Barth, Erling & Bratsberg, Bernt & Raaum, Oddbjørn, 2003.
"Local Unemployment and the Relative Wages of Immigrants: Evidence from the Current Population Surveys,"
20/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Bernt Bratsberg & Erling Barth & Oddbjørn Raaum, 2006. "Local Unemployment and the Relative Wages of Immigrants: Evidence from the Current Population Surveys," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 243-263, May.
- Nong Zhu & Cécile Batisse, 2011. "L'effet des politiques sociales sur l'emploi des nouveaux immigrants à Montréal :une analyse longitudinale et conjoncturelle," Working Papers halshs-00554261, HAL.
- Crossley, T.F. & McDonald, J.T. & Worswick, C., 1999.
"Immigrant Benefit Receipt: Sensitivity to the Choice of Survey years and Model Specification,"
ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics
1999-370, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Crossley, T.F. & McDonald, J.T. & Worswick, C., 1999. "Immigrant Benefit Receipt: Sensitivity to the Choice of Survey years and Model Specification," Papers 370, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Abdurrahman Aydemir, 2003. "Effects of Business Cycles on Labour Market Assimilation of Immigrants," Labor and Demography 0309010, EconWPA.
- Abdurrahman Aydemir, 2003. "Effects of Business Cycles on Labour Market Assimilation of Immigrants," Labor and Demography 0309009, EconWPA.
- Aydemir, Abdurrahman, 2003. "Les effets des cycles economiques sur l'assimilation des immigrants sur le marche du travail," Direction des etudes analytiques : documents de recherche 2003203f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Ahmed, Nina, 2005. "Intergenerational Impact of Immigrants' Selection and Assimilation on Health Outcomes of Children," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2005247e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Hou, Feng Picot, Garnett, 2003. "The Rise in Low-income Rates Among Immigrants in Canada," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2003198e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Warman, Casey, 2005. "Ethnic Neighbourhoods and Male Immigrant Earnings Growth: 1981 Through 1996," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2005241e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Aydemir, Abdurrahman, 2003. "Effects of Business Cycles on the Labour Market Assimilation of Immigrants," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2003203e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Barth, Erling & Bratsberg, Bernt & Raaum, Oddbjørn, 2003. "Local Unemployment and the Earnings Assimilation of Immigrants in Norway," Memorandum 19/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.