Statistical inference for testing Gini Coefficients: An application for Colombia
AbstractThis paper uses Colombian household survey data collected over the 1984-2005 period to estimate Gini coefficients and their corresponding standard errors. We find a statistically significant increase in wage income inequality following the adoption of the liberalization measures during the early 1990s, and mixed evidence from the recovery years that followed the economic recession during the late 1990s. We also find that in several cases the observed differences in the Gini coefficients across cities have not been statistically significant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE in its journal ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Luis Fernando Gamboa & Andrés García & Jesús Otero, 2009. "Statistical inference for testing gini coefficients: an application for Colombia," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 005658, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés Felipe García & Carlos Esteban Posada, .
"La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
410, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Arango Luis Eduardo & Andrés Felipe Garcia & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2008. "La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés Felipe García & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2006. "La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003039, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Cunningham, Wendy & Jacobsen, Joyce P., 2008. "Earnings inequality within and across gender, racial, and ethnic groups in four Latin American Countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4591, The World Bank.
- Russell Davidson, 2007.
"Reliable Inference For The Gini Index,"
- Birchenall, Javier A., 2001. "Income distribution, human capital and economic growth in Colombia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 271-287, October.
- Baer, Werner & Maloney, William, 1997. "Neoliberalism and income distribution in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 311-327, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ESPE).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.