Détermination du niveau des prix et finances publiques : le cas du Liban, 1965 – 2005
AbstractThe fiscal theory of the price level makes a distinction between two kinds of policy-making regimes : a Ricardian and a non-Ricardian one. We analyse here the conditions under which these regimes can apply to different periods, some of them being troubled periods, in a given economy. The case of Lebanon, which has successively gone through periods of prosperity, war and reconstruction, offers a case study for the fiscal theory of the price level, and shows its empirical relevance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Boeck Université in its journal Revue d'économie du développement.
Volume (Year): 22 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 65 Bd. F. Mitterrand, 63000 Clermont-Ferrand
Phone: (33-4) 73 17 74 00
Fax: (33-4) 73 17 74 28
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-d-economie-du-developpement.htm
More information through EDIRC
general price level; inflation; monetary and fiscal policies; public debt; nominal anchor; war economy;
Other versions of this item:
- Jerome Creel & Etienne Farvaque, 2008. "Détermination du niveau des prix et finances publiques : le cas du Liban, 1965-2005," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2008-14, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Etienne Farvaque & Hassan Ayoub & Jérôme Creel, 2008. "Détermination du niveau des prix et finances publiques : le cas du Liban, 1965-2005," Sciences Po publications 2008-14, Sciences Po.
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hélène Baudchon & Jérôme Creel & Vincent Touzé & Bruno Ventelou, 2000.
"La politique budgétaire américaine sous la présidence Clinton : un rêve de cigale,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(4), pages 243-290.
- Vincent Touzé & Hélène Baudchon & Jérôme Creel & Bruno Ventelou, 2000. "La politique budgétaire américaine sous la présidence Clinton : un rêve de cigale," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 75(1), pages 243-290.
- Bruno Ventelou & Hélène Baudchon & Jérôme Creel & Vincent Touze, 2000. "La politique budgétaire américaine sous la présidence Clinton : un rêve de cigale," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2944, Sciences Po.
- Woodford, Michael, 2001.
"Fiscal Requirements for Price Stability,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(3), pages 669-728, August.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Vicente Esteve, 2007.
"Deficit sustainability and inflation in EMU: An analysis from the fiscal theory of the price level,"
07-01, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Díaz-Roldán, Carmen & Esteve, Vicente, 2009. "Deficit sustainability and inflation in EMU: An analysis from the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 525-539, December.
- John H. Cochrane, 1998.
"A Frictionless View of U.S. Inflation,"
CRSP working papers
479, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2007:i:7:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pelin Oge Guney, 2007. "Fiscal Theory of Exchange Rate Determination: Empirical Evidence from Turkey," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(7), pages 1-12.
- António Afonso, 2005.
"Ricardian Fiscal Regimes in the European Union,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2005/18, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Robert E. Cumby & Behzad T. Diba, 2001.
"Is the Price Level Determined by the Needs of Fiscal Solvency?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1221-1238, December.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Cumby, Robert & Diba, Behzad, 1998. "Is the Price Level Determined by the Needs of Fiscal Solvency?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1772, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Robert E. Cumby & Behzad T. Diba, 1998. "Is the Price Level Determined by the Needs of Fiscal Solvency?," NBER Working Papers 6471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ragna Alstadheim, 2005. "Is the price level in Norway determined by fiscal policy?," Working Paper 2005/5, Norges Bank.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-44, January.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2002. "The Fiscal Theory Of The Price Level: A Critique," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(481), pages 459-480, July.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Neil Wallace, 1981. "Some unpleasant monetarist arithmetic," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall.
- Leeper, Eric M., 1991. "Equilibria under 'active' and 'passive' monetary and fiscal policies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 129-147, February.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1975. ""Rational" Expectations, the Optimal Monetary Instrument, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 241-54, April.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Velde, Francois R, 1995. "Macroeconomic Features of the French Revolution," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(3), pages 474-518, June.
- Daniel, Betty C., 2001. "The fiscal theory of the price level in an open economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 293-308, October.
- Günesh Kamber & Jérôme Creel, 2004.
"Debt, Deficits and Inflation on the Road to the EU: the case of Turkey,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/3003, Sciences Po.
- Jérôme Creel & Günes Kamber, 2004. "Debt, deficits and inflation on the road to the EU: the case of Turkey," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 91(5), pages 157-174.
- Jérôme Creel & Henri Sterdyniak, 2000. "La théorie budgétaire du niveau des prix, un bilan critique," Sciences Po publications 2000-03, Sciences Po.
- Creel, Jerome & Bihan, Herve Le, 2006. "Using structural balance data to test the fiscal theory of the price level: Some international evidence," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 338-360, June.
- Charles Plaigin, 2009. "Exploratory study on the presence of cultural and institutional growth spillovers," DULBEA Working Papers 09-03.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.