Imports, Productivity and Origin Markets: The Role of Knowledge-intensive Economies
AbstractAbstract We investigate the impact of international knowledge transfers on productivity at the firm level. The flow of knowledge across borders is measured through imports from different markets. Using a dynamic panel GMM estimation on Swedish manufacturing firms with 10 or more employees over the period 1997-2004, three important results emerge. First, there is an instantaneous positive effect of imports on productivity. Second, the evidence points towards a distinct role of imports from the G7 countries, which accounts for 80 per cent of global R&D. Third, sensitivity analyses show that G7 imports are also important for small and non-affiliated firms. Copyright 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal World Economy.
Volume (Year): 33 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0378-5920
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," IZA Discussion Papers 5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," Working Paper Series in Economics 210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011.
"Productivity and International Firm Activities: What do we know?,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
194, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011. "Productivity and International Firm Activities: What Do We Know?," IZA Policy Papers 23, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tavassoli, Sam, 2013.
"Innovation Determinants over Industry Life Cycle,"
CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers
2013/42, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Khaled Elmawazini & Gamal Atallah & Sonny Nwankwo & Yazid Dissou, 2013. "US Foreign Affiliates, Technology Diffusion and Host Country Human Development: Human Development Index versus Human Capital," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 69-91, January.
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2011.
"On the Role of Imports in Enhancing Manufacturing Exports,"
363, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Alessia Lo Turco & Daniela Maggioni, 2013. "On the Role of Imports in Enhancing Manufacturing Exports," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 93-120, 01.
- David Aristei & Davide Castellani & Chiara Franco, 2011.
"Firms' exporting and importing activities: is there a two-way relationship?,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
99/2011, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- David Aristei & Davide Castellani & Chiara Franco, 2013. "Firms’ exporting and importing activities: is there a two-way relationship?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(1), pages 55-84, March.
- Gabriele Pellegrino & Mariacristina Piva & Marco Vivarelli, 2010.
"Young firms and innovation: a microeconometric analysis,"
DISCE - Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali
dises1068, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Pellegrino, Gabriele & Piva, Mariacristina & Vivarelli, Marco, 2012. "Young firms and innovation: A microeconometric analysis," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 329-340.
- Marcel van den Berg & Charles van Marrewijk, 2013. "Imports and productivity: the impact of geography and factor intensity," Working Papers 13-12, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Marcel van den Berg, 2013. "Importing, productivity and SMEs: firm-level evidence from the Netherlands," Working Papers 13-07, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Giuliano CONTI & Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2012. "Rethinking the import-productivity nexus for Italian manufacturing," Working Papers 381, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.