Assessing the Benefits to Developing Countries of Liberalisation in Services Trade
AbstractThis paper discusses the potential impacts of services trade liberalisation on developing countries and reviews existing quantitative studies. Its purpose is to distill themes from current literature rather than to advocate specific policy changes. The picture emerging is one of valiant attempts to quantify in the presence of formidable analytical and data problems yielding only a clouded image of likely impacts on trade, consumption, production and welfare emerging to the point that the policy implications of results are not always clear. Copyright 2004 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal The World Economy.
Volume (Year): 27 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0378-5920
Other versions of this item:
- John Whalley, 2003. "Assessing the Benefits to Developing Countries of Liberalization in Services Trade," NBER Working Papers 10181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sherman Robinson & Zhi Wang & Will Martin, 2002. "Capturing the Implications of Services Trade Liberalization," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 3-33.
- Rajesh Chadha & Drusilla K. Brown & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 2000.
"Computational Analysis of the Impact on India of the Uruguay Round and the Forthcoming WTO Trade Negotiations,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
312, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Chadha, R. & Brown, D.K. & Deardorff, A.V. & Stern, R.M., 2000. "Computational Analysis of the Impact on India of the Uruguay Round and the Forthcoming WTO Trade Negotiations," Working Papers 459, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Rajesh Chadha & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 2001. "Computational Analysis of the Impact on India of the Uruguay Round and the Forthcoming WTO Trade Negotiations," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0107, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep & Subramanian, Arvind, 2001.
"Measuring services trade liberalization and its impact on economic growth : an illustration,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2655, The World Bank.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2006. "Measuring Services Trade Liberalization and Its Impact on Economic Growth: An Illustration," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 21, pages 64-98.
- Christopher Findlay, 1997. "The APEC Air Transport Schedule," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 273, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Philippa Dee & Kevin Hanslow, 2002. "Multilateral liberalisation of services trade," International Trade 0207002, EconWPA.
- Ryan, Cillian, 1992. "The Integration of Financial Services and Economic Welfare after `1992'," CEPR Discussion Papers 677, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1984. "Applied General-Equilibrium Models of Taxation and International Trade: An Introduction and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1007-51, September.
- John Whalley, 1984. "Trade Liberalization among Major World Trading Areas," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262231204, January.
- Martin, W. & Winters, L.A., 1995. "The Uruguay Round and the Developing Countries," World Bank - Discussion Papers 307, World Bank.
- James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford & David Tarr, 2000.
"Foreign Direct Investments in Services and the Domestic Market for Expertise,"
NBER Working Papers
7700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David, 2000. "Foreign direct investment in services and the domestic market for expertise," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2413, The World Bank.
- Deardoff, A.V. & Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M. & Fox, A.K., 1995. "Computational Analysis of Goods and Services Liberalization in the Uruguay Round," Working Papers 379, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Cillian Ryan, 1990. "Trade Liberalisation and Financial Services," NBER Chapters, in: New Issues in the Uruguay Round, pages 349-366 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keshab Bhattarai & John Whalley, 1998.
"The Division and Size of Gains from Liberalization of Service Networks,"
NBER Working Papers
6712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keshab Bhattarai & John Whalley, 2006. "The Division and Size of Gains from Liberalization in Service Networks," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 348-361, 08.
- Bhattarai, Keshab & John Whalley, 1998. "The Division and Size of Gains from Liberalization in Service Networks," CSGR Working papers series 03/98, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Melvin, James R, 1989. "Trade in Producer Services: A Heckscher-Ohlin Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(5), pages 1180-96, October.
- Aadtya Mattoo, 2000. "Financial Services and the WTO: Liberalisation Commitments of the Developing and Transition Economies," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 351-386, 03.
- Zerby, J A & Conlon, R M, 1983. "Joint Costs and Intra-Tariff Cross-Subsidies: The Case of Liner Shipping," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(4), pages 383-96, June.
- Joseph Francois & Hugh M. Arce & Kenneth A. Reinert & Joseph E. Flynn, 1996. "Commercial Policy and the Domestic Carrying Trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(1), pages 181-98, February.
- Ngee Choon Chia & Whalley, John, 1997. "A numerical example showing globally welfare-worsening liberalization of international trade in banking services," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 119-127, April.
- Hamilton, Bob & Whalley, John, 1984. "Efficiency and distributional implications of global restrictions on labour mobility : Calculations and policy implications," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 61-75.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993. "Finance, entrepreneurship and growth: Theory and evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 513-542, December.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- repec:fth:michin:459 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kym Anderson, 2005.
"On the Virtues of Multilateral Trade Negotiations,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(255), pages 414-438, December.
- Kym Anderson, 2005. "On the Virtues of Multilateral Trade Negotiations," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2005-15, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Keith Walsh, 2006. "Trade in Services: Does Gravity Hold? A Gravity Model Approach to Estimating Barriers to Services Trade," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp183, IIIS.
- Chisari, Omar O. & Maquieyra, Javier & Romero, Carlos A., 2009. "Liberalization of trade in services: A CGE analysis for Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay," MPRA Paper 15336, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hui Huang & John Whalley & Shunming Zhang, 2005. "Trade Liberalization in a Joint Spatial Inter-Temporal Trade Model," CESifo Working Paper Series 1463, CESifo Group Munich.
- Philippa Dee & Christopher Findlay, 2006.
"Trade Facilitation: What, Why, How, Where and When?,"
47578, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Philippa Dee & Christopher Findlay, 2006. "Trade Facilitation: What, Why, How, Where and When?," IDB Publications 47558, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Bchir, Mohamed Hedi, 2008. "The effect of mode 4 liberalization on illegal immigration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1051-1063, September.
- Jie Zhang & Camilla Jensen, 2005. "Comparative Advantage in Tourism - A Supply-Side Analysis of Tourism Flows," ERSA conference papers ersa05p183, European Regional Science Association.
- Kym Anderson, 2004.
"The challenge of Reducing Subsidies and Trade Barriers,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers
2004-12, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Anderson, Kym, 2004. "The challenge of reducing subsidies and trade barriers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3415, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym, 2004. "The Challenge of Reducing Subsidies and Trade Barriers," CEPR Discussion Papers 4592, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rolf Maier, 2005. "Trade Policy and Pro-Poor Growth," International Trade 0504007, EconWPA.
- Innwon Park & Soonchan Park, 2011.
"Regional Liberalisation of Trade in Services,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34, pages 725-740, 05.
- Aidan Islyami, 2009. "Trade in Intermediate Producer Services under Imperfect Competition," FIW Working Paper series 020, FIW.
- Oetzel, Jennifer M. & Banerjee, Sudeshna Ghosh, 2008. "A case of the tortoise versus the hare? Deregulation process, timing, and firm performance in emerging markets," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 54-77, February.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Van Assche, Ari, 2007.
"Regulation, market structure and service trade liberalization,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 895-923, November.
- Denise Eby Konan & Ari Van Assche, 2006. "Regulation, Market Structure and Service Trade Liberalization," CIRANO Working Papers 2006s-18, CIRANO.
- Eric Ng & John Whalley, 2008.
"Visas and work permits: Possible global negotiating initiatives,"
The Review of International Organizations,
Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 259-285, September.
- Chi-Yung Ng & John Whalley, 2005. "Visas and Work Permits: Possible Global Negotiating Initiatives," CESifo Working Paper Series 1614, CESifo Group Munich.
- Henk Kox & Arjan Lejour, 2004. "A different approach to WTO negotiations in services," CPB Discussion Paper 36, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- John Whalley, 2003. "Liberalization in China's Key Service Sectors Following WTO Accession: Some Scenarios and Issues of Measurement," NBER Working Papers 10143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.