The Impact Of Foreign Ownership And Efficiency On Pollution Abatement Expenditure By Chemical Plants: Some Uk Evidence
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of foreign ownership and efficiency on chemical plants' pollution abatement expenditure. The model estimates presented reveal not only which factors are the key determinants of whether any abatement expenditure occurs but also explain how much was spent on the principal categories of pollution control. These chemical plant results present a conspicuous contrast with earlier results based on other industrial sectors. This would suggest that the efficiency-pollution spending relationship is also characterised by industry specific effects. Copyright (c) Scottish Economic Society 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Scottish Economic Society in its journal Scottish Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 52 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0036-9292
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- William Greene, 2008.
"A Stochastic Frontier Model with Correction for Sample Selection,"
08-9, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- William Greene, 2010. "A stochastic frontier model with correction for sample selection," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 15-24, August.
- Randy A. Becker & Carl Pasurka, Jr. & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 2012.
"Do Environmental Regulations Disproportionately Affect Small Businesses? Evidence from the Pollution Abatement Costs and Expenditures Survey,"
12-25r, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau, revised Aug 2013.
- Becker, Randy A. & Pasurka, Carl & Shadbegian, Ronald J., 2013. "Do environmental regulations disproportionately affect small businesses? Evidence from the Pollution Abatement Costs and Expenditures survey," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 523-538.
- Randy A. Becker & Ronald J. Shadbegian & Carl Pasurka, 2013. "Do Environmental Regulations Disproportionately Affect Small Businesses? Evidence from the Pollution Abatement Costs and Expenditures Survey," NCEE Working Paper Series 201206, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Aug 2013.
- Jaraite, Jurate & Kažukauskas, Andrius & Lundgren, Tommy, 2012. "Determinants of Environmental Expenditure and Investment: Evidence from Sweden," CERE Working Papers 2012:7, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Stefanie Haller & Liam Murphy, 2012.
"Corporate Expenditure on Environmental Protection,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 51(2), pages 277-296, February.
- Boris Bravo-Ureta & William Greene & Daniel Solís, 2012. "Technical efficiency analysis correcting for biases from observed and unobserved variables: an application to a natural resource management project," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 55-72, August.
- Richard Harris & John Moffat, 2011.
"Plant-level Determinants of Total Factor Productivity in Great Britain, 1997-2006,"
SERC Discussion Papers
0064, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Richard Harris & John Moffat, 2011. "Plant-level determinants of total factor productivity in Great Britain, 1997-2006," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33561, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Santosh Kumar Sahu & K. Narayanan, 2013. "Carbon Dioxide Emissions from Indian Manufacturing Industries: Role of Energy and Technology Intensity," Working Papers 2013-082, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- John P. Weche Geluebcke & Isabella Wedl, 2013. "Environmental Protection of Foreign Firms in Germany: Does the country of origin matter?," Working Paper Series in Economics 267, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.