Quotas on Clothing Imports: Impact and Determinants of EU Trade Policy
AbstractWe assess the impact of the phasing-out of quotas on European clothing imports within the framework of the phase-out of the Multi-Fiber Agreement and the accession of the CEEC. We use 1996 data on trade barriers for 20 categories of clothing products and 22 exporters. The estimation of a standard gravity equation concludes that tariffs have a large and negative impact as expected but seldom corroborated in the literature. The negative impact of non-tariff barriers also appears clearly after controlling for an endogeneity bias by the instrumental variables method. The phasing-out of quotas should increase EU imports by 20%. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2005..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ana I. Moro & Juliette Milgram, 2008.
"The Asymmetric Effect of Endowments on Vertical Intra-Industrial Trade,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2008-13, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Juliette Milgram-Baleix & Ana I. Moro-Egido, 2010. "The Asymmetric Effect of Endowments on Vertical Intra-industrial Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(5), pages 746-777, 05.
- Hudson, Darren & Ethridge, Don E. & Mutuc, Maria Erlinda M., 2010.
"LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE PHASE-OUT OF THE MFAs: MOVING FROM MANAGED DISTORTION TO MANAGED DISTORTION,"
96674, Texas Tech University, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Hudson, Darren & Ethridge, Don E. & Mutuc, Maria Erlinda M., 2011. "Lessons Learned from the Phase-out of the MFA: Moving from Managed Distortion to Managed Distortion," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 12(1).
- José V. Blanes & Juliette Milgram Baleix, 2006. "The Free Trade Agreement Morocco-EU: a simulation of the impact on EU exports," ThE Papers 06/09, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.