Semiparametric Estimation in Time-Series Regression with Long-Range Dependence
AbstractWe consider semiparametric estimation in time-series regression in the presence of long-range dependence in both the errors and the stochastic regressors. A central limit theorem is established for a class of semiparametric frequency domain-weighted least squares estimates, which includes both narrow-band ordinary least squares and narrow-band generalized least squares as special cases. The estimates are semiparametric in the sense that focus is on the neighbourhood of the origin, and only periodogram ordinates in a degenerating band around the origin are used. This setting differs from earlier studies on time-series regression with long-range dependence, where a fully parametric approach has been employed. The generalized least squares estimate is infeasible when the degree of long-range dependence is unknown and must be estimated in an initial step. In that case, we show that a feasible estimate which has the same asymptotic properties as the infeasible estimate, exists. By Monte Carlo simulation, we evaluate the finite-sample performance of the generalized least squares estimate and the feasible estimate. Copyright 2005 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Time Series Analysis.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782
Other versions of this item:
- Nielsen, Morten Oe., . "Semiparametric Estimation in Time Series Regression with Long Range Dependence," Economics Working Papers 2002-17, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hassler, U. & Marmol, F. & Velasco, C., 2006.
"Residual log-periodogram inference for long-run relationships,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 165-207, January.
- Hassler, Uwe & Marmol, Francesc & Velasco, Carlos, 2002. "Residual Log-Periodogram Inference for Long-Run-Relationships," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 37317, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Carlos Velasco, 2003. "Gaussian Semi-parametric Estimation of Fractional Cointegration," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 345-378, 05.
- Tsay, Wen-Jen & Chung, Ching-Fan, 2000. "The spurious regression of fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 155-182, May.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Understanding spurious regressions in econometrics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 311-340, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Understanding Spurious Regressions in Econometrics," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 757, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hannan, E. J., 1979. "The central limit theorem for time series regression," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 281-289, December.
- Lobato, Ignacio N., 1999. "A semiparametric two-step estimator in a multivariate long memory model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 129-153, May.
- Lobato, I. & Robinson, P. M., 1996. "Averaged periodogram estimation of long memory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 303-324, July.
- Afonso Goncalves da Silva & Peter Robinson, 2008.
"Finite Sample Performance in Cointegration Analysis of Nonlinear Time Series with Long Memory,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1-3), pages 268-297.
- Afonso Gonçalves da Silva & Peter M Robinson, 2006. "Finite Sample Performance in CointegrationAnalysis of Nonlinear Time Series with LongMemory," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2006/501, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Peter M. Robinson, 2007. "Multiple local whittle estimation in stationary systems," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4436, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ørregaard Nielsen, Morten, 2004.
"Local empirical spectral measure of multivariate processes with long range dependence,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 145-166, January.
- Nielsen, Morten Oe., . "Local Empirical Spectral Measure of Multivariate Processes with Long Range Dependence," Economics Working Papers 2002-16, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- George Kapetanios & Zacharias Psaradakis, 2007. "Semiparametric Sieve-Type GLS Inference in Regressions with Long-Range Dependence," Working Papers 587, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Peter M Robinson, 2007. "Multiple Local Whittle Estimation in StationarySystems," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2007/525, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Do, Hung Xuan & Brooks, Robert Darren & Treepongkaruna, Sirimon, 2013. "Generalized impulse response analysis in a fractionally integrated vector autoregressive model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(3), pages 462-465.
- Morten Ørregaard Nielsen & Per Frederiksen, 2008. "Fully Modified Narrow-Band Least Squares Estimation of Stationary Fractional Cointegration," Working Papers 1171, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.