Empirical Analysis of Competition between Wal-Mart and Other Retail Channels
Abstract"This paper quantifies the degree of competition between Wal-Mart and different retail channels by exploiting a unique dataset that describes a consumer's choice of store. Using a discrete choice model, I estimate a consumer's choice of retailer in the sales market for DVDs among online, mass merchant, electronics, video specialty, and music stores. Wal-Mart competes more intensely with other mass merchants, and conditional on price and distance, the average consumer still prefers Wal-Mart to most other stores. I also consider a counterfactual experiment regarding the entry of Wal-Mart into 15 proposed store sites into California." Copyright (c) 2009, The Author(s) Journal Compilation (c) 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economics & Management Strategy.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/journals/JEMS/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eric Overby & Chris Forman, 2011. "The Effect of Electronic Commerce on Geographic Trade and Price Variance in a Business-to-Business Market," Working Papers 11-30, NET Institute.
- Allen Tran, 2014. "The Aggregate Impact Of Online Retail," Working Papers 14-23, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Wu, Chongqi & Mallik, Suman, 2010. "Cross sales in supply chains: An equilibrium analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 158-167, August.
- Andrea Pozzi, 2009.
"Shopping Cost and Brand Exploration in Online Grocery,"
09-10, NET Institute, revised Sep 2009.
- Andrea Pozzi, 2012. "Shopping Cost and Brand Exploration in Online Grocery," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 96-120, August.
- Gil, Ricard & Warzynski, Frederic, 2009.
"Vertical Integration, Exclusivity and Game Sales Performance in the U.S. Video Game Industry,"
09-19, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Gil, Ricard & Warzynski, Frédéric, 2009. "Vertical Integration, Exclusivity and Game Sales Performance in the U.S. Video Game Industry," MPRA Paper 21049, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2009.
- Ricard Gil & Frédèric Warzynski, 2010. "Vertical Integration, Exclusivity and Game Sales Performance in the US Video Game Industry," Working Papers 10-06, NET Institute, revised Sep 2010.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2009. "Tax Sensitivity and Home State Preferences in Internet Purchasing," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 53-71, August.
- Anderson, Michael L. & Matsa, David A., 2010.
"Are Restaurants Really Supersizing America?,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt4vm5m5vr, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.