An Empirical Analysis of the Stockholder-Bondholder Conflict in Corporate Spin-Offs
Abstract"We analyze the effect of daily stock and bond abnormal returns around spin-off announcements. Over a three-day event window, we find statistically significant abnormal returns of 3.07% for stocks and 0.11% for straight bonds. Both stock and bond abnormal returns are higher for firms with lower interest and dividend payouts. Stock abnormal returns are also higher for firms with higher pre-spin-off leverage. Overall, we find that the firm value increase compensates for the wealth transfer effect and that bondholders' wealth is not reduced as a result of spin-off." Copyright 2008 Financial Management Association International..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association International in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 37 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331, Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0046-3892
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luc Renneboog & Peter G. Szilagyi, 2008.
"Corporate Restructuring and Bondholder Wealth,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 14(4), pages 792-819.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Szilagyi, P.G., 2006. "Corporate Restructuring and Bondholder Wealth," Discussion Paper 2006-007, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Szilagyi, P.G., 2006. "Corporate Restructuring and Bondholder Wealth," Discussion Paper 2006-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bardong, Florian & Bartram, Söhnke M. & Yadav, Pradeep K., 2006. "The Effect of Corporate Break-ups on Information Asymmetry: A Market Microstructure Analysis," MPRA Paper 13155, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Oct 2008.
- Szilagyi, P.G., 2007. "Corporate Governance and the Agency Costs of Debt and Outside Equity," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-321510, Tilburg University.
- Thomas H. Thompson & Vince Apilado, 2010. "Second-stage events and bondholder wealth," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(2), pages 103-121, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.