Robust Monetary Policy with the Cost Channel
AbstractRecent research argues that model uncertainty leads the central bank to adjust interest rates stronger to exogenous disturbances than under certainty. This paper investigates whether the introduction of a cost channel of monetary transmission, whose presence is empirically supported, changes the impact of model uncertainty on interest rate setting. The model is simple enough to facilitate an analytical solution. I find that the presence of the cost channel dampens the effect of model uncertainty on interest rate setting and can offset the activist policy stance. A richer model that allows for persistent supply and demand shocks corroborates these findings. Copyright (c) The London School of Economics and Political Science 2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 76 (2009)
Issue (Month): 303 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sylvia Kaufmann & Johann Scharler, 2010.
"Bank-Lending Standards, the Cost Channel and Inflation Dynamics,"
164, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Sylvia Kaufmann & Johann Scharler, 2009. "Bank-Lending Standards, the Cost Channel and Inflation Dynamics," Economics working papers 2009-16, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- repec:onb:oenbwp:y::i:164:b:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Araújo, Eurilton, 2013.
"Robust monetary policy with the consumption-wealth channel,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 296-311.
- Araújo, Eurilton, 2008. "Robust Monetary Policy with the Consumption-Wealth Channel," Insper Working Papers wpe_110, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Malikane, Christopher, 2012. "Inflation dynamics and the cost channel in emerging markets," MPRA Paper 42688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gerke, Rafael & Hammermann, Felix & Lewis, Vivien, 2012. "Robust monetary policy in a model with financial distress," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 318-325.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.